Blustery conditions at Axbridge
Bristol Corinthian Yacht Club hosted the first event of the Enterprise Severnside series on a wild and blustery Cheddar Reservoir.
BRISTOL Corinthian Yacht Club hosted the first event of the Enterprise Severnside series on a wild and blustery Cheddar Reservoir.
In the first race, which saw a few boats over the line, Paul Hobson and Libby Allen led at the windward mark and sailed off into the distance. Behind them there was some exciting racing as the shifting wind direction kept everybody on their toes.
Local BCYC fleet captain Bryan Smith with Richard Bateman was third at the windward mark, but slowly dropped back. Alice Allen with Rebecca Sinpp pulled through to third, but the excitement got too much for them and a violent wind shift caused them to capsize at the windward mark.
This gave Akshan Jirasinha and Jackie Franklin third place after they had passed Richard Leach and Jane Pickford.
You may also want to watch:
After lunch the wind picked up even more. Paul and Libby worked the wind shifts at the top of the first beat to lead and were never seen again. They were followed by Akshan, who had taken on extra ballast in the form of Steve Higgs, and then Ian Wakeling and Sean O’Neil
Akshan and Steve capsized at the windward mark. Ian and Sean were passed by Phil and Rory when the main sheet traveller failed as they gybed, but they managed to rig a strop and hold off Akshan and Richard Leach.
- 1 Weston accountant sees business thrive during lockdowns
- 2 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 3 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 4 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 5 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 6 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 7 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 8 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 9 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 10 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
With Paul and Libby retiring to the viewing gallery, only five boats sailed the last race with Phil, Ian and Akshan all requiring a first to secure second overall.
Phil Kirk was late for the start and decided that a six stone crew gave him no chance of recovering against the heavyweights and retired. Ian and Sean led at the first mark where Akshan and Steve again had a swim.
At the gybe, Ian and Sean took the safe option and tacked, tempting Alice and Rebecca into a fateful gybe. Ian and Sean survived the rest of the race, while Bryan Smith who had been ashore at the warning signal to repair his boat, struggled round to gain a creditable third spot.
Final Results: Paul Hobson and Libby Allen (BCYC); Ian Wakeling and Sean O’Neil (BCYC); Phil Kirk and Rory Cohen (FOSSC).