Boxers make their debuts
Lewis Hunt of Weston Boxing Club made a successful start to his career.
WESTON Amateur Boxing Club travelled to Cheltenham for its first contest of 2012.
With 11-year-old Matt Doyle, a talented young footballer, now trying his hand at the sport, he took on Peter Ayres of the host club.
A skills bout consists of both boxers demonstrating their defence and attack though only being semi-contact. No result is made at the end of three rounds and both boxers’ hands are raised going away with a trophy and the experience of competition.
Next to don the black and gold colours of the club was Tom Harris, aged 17. Having had two contests and stopped both opponents, he was hoping to have more of a challenge
You may also want to watch:
He faced Ben Richardson again of the host club Cheltenham Academy. From the first bell, Harris found his opponent awkward and it was a scrappy affair for the first two rounds.
Harris was unable to land a clean punch, but he had more success in the third. At the end, the officials found in favour of the home boy by a split decision.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 3 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 4 Appeal to find missing teenager Ruben
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 8 Somerset has best Covid vaccine rate for both doses
- 9 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
Lewis Hunt, aged 20, made his senior debut against Shaun Skull of Carls Boxing Stable, Plymouth, and put on a tremendous performance against a tough Devonian, taking a unanimous points decision.
Former Weston ABC boxer Sheridan Davey cornered the event, having passed his assistant coaches course with top marks.
If anybody wishes to be coached by Davey, he is at Weston Youth Centre on Tuesday and Sunday evenings between 7-9.30pm. For more details, contact 07786 371164.