Burnham captains contest annual drive-in
All four of Burnham Golf Club captains took part in the annual drive-in to start their year in office.
David Huxtable hit his first tee shot of the year as the new captain at Burnham & Berrow Golf Club at the captains’ drive-in.
The annual event which marks the start of the captains’ year of office attracted a large crowd to watch not only club captain Huxtable, but the other incoming captains Sue Wall, Clive Collins (seniors) and Miles Richardson (juniors) tee off at the first.
Despite the early wind and rain which threatened to dampen the day, the rain stopped and the wind eased so that the competitors in the shotgun bowmaker event which follows the drive-in, played 18 holes in almost perfect weather conditions.
Previous club captain Martin Wilkins, new director of greens Andy Birkett, Jonathan Barker and Martin Plant came home the winners with an impressive 102 points in the best two scores from four format with the added twist of all four scores counting on the par threes.
You may also want to watch:
This was three points ahead of last year’s captain Adrian Deakins, playing alongside Peter Amos, David Harries and Steve Richards.
The best ladies’ team was Kate Charles, Jean Booth, Jane Moreton and Ros Gait with 83 points, and the leading seniors’ team was Adrian Markwell, Ray French, George King and Clive Collins with 86.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
The in-form Chris Hill won the Division 1 Saturday Stableford with 40 points, two ahead of Roger Marshall and Mark Sly. Division 2 was won by Tony Charalambous with 38 points.
Scores - captains drive-in bowmaker: A Birkett, M Wilkins, M Plant, J Barker 102 pts; A Deakins, P Amos, D Harries, S Richards 99 I Hind, T Mason, T Marshfield, S Cook 96; J Pelling, P Tomlinson, J Marshfield, P Richardson 93.
Stableford - Division 1: C Hill 40 pts; R Marshall 38; M Sly 38; M Houghton 36; G Rees 36. Division 2: T Charalambous 38 pts; R Sutton 36; A Hughes 35; S Richards 35 R Graham 33.