Burnham record a high-scoring victory
Burnham finish on top after a high-scoring encounter against Torquay.
Burnham 47 pts
Torquay Athletic 30 pts
BURNHAM emerged winners from an exhilarating high-scoring tussle against Torquay.
Burnham started against the wind and Burnham was soon awarded a penalty try, earning the visitors two yellow cards in the process. Torquay came straight back and after gaining good possession scored a converted try.
You may also want to watch:
Burnham immediately retaliated after securing good line-out ball after a penalty, Vunipola releasing Russell Pike to score in the corner.12-7. Back came Torquay with a penalty.
Burnham was awarded another penalty try after further infringements by Torquay, but the visitors replied with a penalty to make it 19-13 at the break.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 6 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 7 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 8 Euro 2020: 7 places to watch Euro 2020 in Weston
- 9 Planking your way to better health
- 10 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
From the restart, Torquay produced a strong drive to score. The hosts replied with a try after a quick tap penalty saw Mike Hocking bulldoze over. After a break by the Torquay No10, the visitors reduced the deficit again to 26-25.
Burnham was next to score after a forward drive, enabling Stuart Blake to score, soon followed by Luke Gowan’s first try. Straight from the kick-off, Burnham scored again when Hayden Tuttiet collected his own kick to score in the corner, Piper netting his sixth conversion.
Torquay’s No10 had the last word by outpacing the Burnham defence to round off the game.
Burnham 2nd XV 12 pts
Wyvern 34 pts
Skipper Matt Slater had a challenge from the off set due to injury of some players and others on first team duty.
The visitors opened the scoring with a converted try. Burnham hit back with some good play from Will, Slater, Cain Harding and Podge, but the visitors broke out to score another try.
It was from a number of set pieces with Slater, Matt Coles and Podge driving forward that resulted in a try for full-back Bobbie.
After several changes, a scorching run by Bobbie, supported by Glen and George Scott, was finished off by Podge, converted by Dave Harris to level the scores.
Unfortunately, Burnham could not sustain this fine effort and allowed the visitors to score a further three times.