Burnham register another victory
Burnham registered another victory to continue their successful run.
Burnham 33 pts
Torquay Athletic 3 pts
BURNHAM continued their successful run of victories with what appeared to be a comfortable win.
However, somebody forgot to tell Torquay. For the first 25 minutes Torquay defended resolutely as well as occasionally making a foray into the Burnham half, but the strength of Burnham’s pack took its toll.
You may also want to watch:
Burnham were awarded a penalty and Hayden Tuttiett quickly sent the ball down the line to find Alan House in the left wing position, enabling him to round the last man and score close to the posts. Piper converted of a 7-0 lead.
For the rest of the half Burnham continued to press, but in their haste conceded a penalty allowing Torquay to make it 7-3 at half-time.
- 1 Fears for Weston General Hospital A&E's future after top doctor resigns
- 2 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 5 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 6 Christmas lights display for Weston Hospicecare
- 7 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Burnham kept their foot on the pedal and were duly rewarded with two penalties, despatched by Piper. Having given themselves a little breathing space, Burnham started to demonstrate their strength, forcing Torquay backwards.
Tuttiett found a gap and shot through to touch down before Burnham were reduced to 14, but such was their control they caused Torquay to transgress allowing Piper to kick a penalty.
Shortly afterwards, emphatic control and retention by Burnham took them from one side to the other, creating sufficient space for Russ Pike to score in the corner.
In the last two minutes, after yet another penalty, Burnham’s solid line-out produced a strong driving maul for Mike Hocking to peel off and score out wide.
On Saturday, Burnham are away to Okehampton, kick-off 2.30pm.
Burnham 2nd XI 14 pts
Ivel Barbarians 18 pts
THE second lost narrowly at home to Ivel Barbarians, despite leading at half-time.
Good play by Alex Watkins, Elliot, Will Grant and Ginge took the home side within striking distance. Lloyd Steward and Will Conway set up Jake to touch down under the posts, converted by Conway.
Ivel mounted a concerted number of attacks on the home side, but were kept out by good defence from Sam Wall, Oz, Nash, Ed and Matt Glanville, until they converted a penalty.
As the half drew to a close, Rob burst through only to be brought down close to the line, but captain Matt Slater crossed the line, converted by Conway to make it 14-3 at half-time.
Elliot Donnelly, Watkins and Will Grant were prominent after the break, but the visitors managed to score two tries, one converted to lead 15-14 and a late penalty gave Ivel a narrow victory.