Burnham remain undefeated this year

Burnham remain undefeated in 2013 after defeating Bristol Harlequins.

Bristol Harlequins 12 pts

Burnham 28 pts

ANOTHER solid display by Burnham kept their undefeated run in 2013 intact.

A late cry-off saw a first team call up to young Alex Watkins, for his first team debut at full-back and he gave a fine display, setting up three of the four tries scored.

You may also want to watch:

Burnham’s fowards were again in rampant mood, dominating at set piece and in the loose. Young Henry Bigwood in his first start at flanker for the first team was another player who showed promise in a new position.

Watkins helped break the deadlock with a devastating run from just inside his own half. He caught the ball on the full and burst through the covering defence and passed the ball to Rio Cooper to score in the corner, converted by Piper.

Most Read

Watkins was soon in the act again when he caught the ball in his half, before a classy break saw him release Jordy Paul to outsprint the cover defence to score, again converted by Piper.

Harlequins worked their way down to Burnham’s line to score a try of their own. With half-time approaching, Burnham’s forwards were rewarded with a scrum on Quin’s five-metre line and were awarded a penalty try.

The second half was similar to the first with Burnham’s back at their devastating best. From a set piece move, the ball found its way to Watkins who drew in the defender to release captain Russ Pike to score by the posts. Piper converted fir a 28-5 lead.

Burnham took their foot off the gas and Quins scored a consolation try towards the end of the game.

A great team performance saw some superb individual displays in Alex Watkins, Joe Osgood, Stu Blake, Henry Bigwood, Ben Stacey and Ross McKeckhan.

On Saturday, Burnham are away to Avon where they will be doing their bit for charity in their annual £10 charity challenge.

Burnham 2nd XV 26 pts

Wiveliscombe 19 pts

THE seconds took on Wiveliscombe and gave a fine display to run out 26-19 winners.

The hosts went behind to an early Wiveliscombe try, but the pack was beginning to exert pressure in the scrums. The solid front row of Phil Collings, Ginge and Ben Harris were backed up by the back row of Dan Thorpe, Tom Stevens and Chris Warner.

The backs were beginning to find their feet and after a turnover by Ben Bowkett and good work from Chris Warner, Ben Gibb crossed for a converted try. Burnham took the lead when Matt Love set up Gibb for his second try and conversion.

After the break, Gibb completed his hat-trick, which he also converted. Wiveliscombe hit back with an unconverted try.

Burnham made the game safe after good work by Matt Love, Tom Stevens, Collings, George Wilcox set up Gibb for the final score.

The man of the match was without a doubt Ben Gibb, but there were also credible performances from Chris Warner, Bowkett, Wilcox; Ginge, Lee Berry and many more.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus