Burnham triumph in top of the table clash
Burnham defeated Teignmouth in a top of the table clash.
Burnham 34 pts
Teignmouth 29 pts
THIS top of the table clash lived up to its billing with both side having strong periods of supremacy.
However, Burnham’s renowned set of forwards yet again saved the day. The hosts started the better of the two sides and after five minutes of probing and following three successful phases, Hayden Tuttiett placed a kick behind Teignmouth’s defence enabling Matt Love to hassle the winger into mistiming the bounce.
You may also want to watch:
Seizing his chance, Tuttiett gathered the ball and raced to the corner. Fifteen minutes later, Burnham regained possession just inside their own half and Piper’s astute cross-kick sat up nicely for Love to score in the corner.
Both sides exchanged penalties before Teignmouth moved up a gear and assisted by some poor defensive work by Burnham, rattled up three tries by half time, two converted to lead 13-22.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 4 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 7 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 8 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
After the break, Burnham replied with three tries of their own, all converted by Piper. The first was a penalty try, and the next two were scored by Piper, after good work by Tuttiett. However, Teignmouth were not finished and deep into injury time produced a fine try to jangle the Burnham faithful’s nerves, but Burnham held on to win 34-29.
On Saturday, Burnham travel to Wellington, kick-off 3pm.