Busy summer for Woodland juniors
- Credit: Archant
Woodland Lawn Tennis Club juniors have been enjoying a busy summer.
THE juniors at Woodland Lawn Tennis Club have been enjoying a busy summer.
The club entered three teams into the West Somerset Junior League and their top 14 and under team won their division after a tense final match against Wiveliscombe.
The two unbeaten teams played it out for the top spot, but Woodland’s Oliver Fuller, Tom Deverson, Archit Singhal and Stephie Buckingham produced some of their best tennis to win 10-8 and take the league title.
Next came the popular summer coaching course. Forty juniors took advantage of the opportunity for extra coaching over four days with the eldest group raking up a total of 12 hours on court.
You may also want to watch:
Coach Steve Pantling was impressed by their commitment. He said: “Even after their coaching slots had finished, the juniors wanted to stay on and keep playing. It’s great to see such enthusiasm.”
The coaching week was rounded off with the club junior tournament to determine the finalists for the club championships. A total of 18 juniors entered and played a round robin which led to rankings and a knock out competition.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 4 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 5 Restaurant donates meals to key workers, teachers and pupils
- 6 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 7 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 8 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 9 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 10 Man jailed for filming women without their knowledge
Oliver Fuller and Tom Deverson qualified for the boys’ singles final and sisters Stephie and Lydia Buckingham will, once again, be competing for the girls’ title. This year they will join the seniors for finals day.
The juniors are now looking forward to the adult and junior tournament where parents get a chance to join their children on court and show what they can do.
For more information on the club and its activities, contact membership secretary Judy Cannon on 01934 629819 or visit the website at www.woodlandtennisclub.co.uk