Carmen claims British gymnastics title
- Credit: Archant
Splitz Gym Club member Carmen Benham won gold at the national schools final to become champion.
SPLITZ Gym Club members competed in two national finals in one weekend.
Gymnasts travelled to Coventry for the NDP tumbling and Stoke-on-Trent for the schools’ finals.
Gymnasts competing against the best in Great Britain were Libby Bunker, Kayleigh Down, Chili Harling, Carmen Benham, Sam Middleton and Carmen Benham.
All had fantastic results and the highlight of the day was Carmen Benham winning a gold medal against 16 other competitors to become British champion.
You may also want to watch:
Bunker, who competed at the highest level for the club, produced three clean runs and quickly left that competition to travel to Stoke for the schools finals just in time to compete. Libby received a well-earned silver medal in tumbling.
Harry Sheppard competed in his first national finals and performed three good runs.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 4 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 5 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 6 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 7 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 8 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 9 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
- 10 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
Head coach Sharon Benham said: “I am really proud of all the gymnasts who competed at nationals, to get this far is an achievement.”