Champions cruise to comfortable victory
Banwell & Churchill cruised to an eight-wicket victory in their last league match of the season.
NEWLY-crowned champions Banwell & Churchill won their latest Division 5 match at a canter away at Bishop Lydeard.
Banwell won the toss and bowled out the hosts for 157 in 41 overs. A Brooks (1-4), D Bush (4-28), C Langley (2-39), J Pearson (2-15) and B Carter (1-32) were the wicket takers for Banwell, with M Biggs (0-18) the only absentee. Sarey batted beautifully for Lydeard with an unbeaten 82.
In reply, Banwell scored 162-2 in 31 overs, winning by eight wickets. J Bryant top scored with 64 not out, with great support from M Biggs (49), K Gale (24) and B Diver (6 not out) were the other run scorers for Banwell.
On Saturday, Banwell are away to Lydford for their last match of the season.
You may also want to watch:
THE 2nd XI followed the success of the club’s 1st XI by also winning their division in to complete a good season for the club.
They needed nine points in this home game against near neighbours Uphill Castle Crusaders to clinch the title, but in the end their win brought 34 points.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 3 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 Airport to receive £8million grant to 'protect jobs'
- 6 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 7 Hospital trust defends patient-to-nurses ratio increase
- 8 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 9 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
In their penultimate game, the visitors decided to bat first. However, Uphill found runs hard to come by on a slow pitch and after their 45 overs had reached 124-9.
Ollie Masters, Neil Duncan and Mike Pye each took two wickets with Kevin Burgess and John Biggs taking one each. Dave Eckett also bowled 10 economical overs and Dave Pye executed a run-out.
Banwell also found scoring difficult, but reached their target with 3.2 overs to spare to win by 9 wickets. Mike Legg was the man out for 11. Rick Hutchinson with 39 and Dave Pye with 47 were the unbeaten batsmen.