Champions start with victory
BILLIARDS - THE Wrington Vale Billiards season opened with a number of good performances.
THE Wrington Vale Billiards season opened with a number of good performances.
Reigning champions Karny's Clan opened up against Zimmers for whom only Wayne Ticer was available, but despite this he put up a good fight and his consistent scoring in the opening game against an out of touch Mike Allen gave him a 70-point win. He did not show the same flair in the second game, however, and Justin Cole's own consistency coupled with two fine breaks of 67 and 44 gave him a 150-88 point win. The third game defaulted to the Clan to give them a 3-1 victory.
Rejects opened up with a 3-1 victory as well against Backwell B. George Rowe's summer league form deserted him in the opener against Ian Green whose better run of the ball gave him a 41-point win. Bob Selby hit back for the village side against Lee Carpenter, scoring consistently to win by 18.
In the final game Lee was asked to play again against late substitute Steve Pascoe who showed flashes of good play towards the end, but Lee's early better scoring gave him a win by 24.
You may also want to watch:
Lindrums came away from Backwell A with a creditable 3-1 victory. Matt Northern was unlucky not to beat Martyn Howell who came back from over 90 behind to win by 16, better break building making the difference.
Adrian Smith hit several good breaks and overwhelmed Pete Wood in the next game although Pete did well to reach 115. Pete was asked to play twice and nearly defeated the more experienced Geoff Passmore with some lovely cannons and pots before Geoff held on to win 14.
- 1 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 2 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 3 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 4 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 5 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 6 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 7 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 8 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 9 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 10 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
Congresbury and Short Frames fought out a 2-2 draw. Reuben Hurse's form coming late on in the first game against Ray Tozer with a couple of 20 breaks seeing him home by 46. Roy Jenkins had the same trouble against James Cook who was in front until Roy's late 47 gave him an 11-point win.
Irving Prowse never got going in the final match against Mike Tozer who played steadily and a late break of 20 was enough to take the bonus for the visitors with a 72point win.
Breaks: Justin Cole 67, 44*, 21, 21; Roy Jenkins 47, 29; Adrian Smith 33, 28, 22, 20; Martyn Howell 26, 21; Reuben Hurse 26, 20; Mike Allen 25, 21; Wayne Ticer 23; Mike Tozer 20.
WRINGTON VALE BILLIARDS LEAGUE 2009-10
AFTER GAMES PLAYED 10/09/2009