Cheddar bring back all three points

Cheddar Football Club star players.

Cheddar Football Club star players. - Credit: Archant

Cheddar recorded an excellent victory at Roman Glass St George to bring home three more points.

Roman Glass St George 1

Cheddar 2

Cheddar brought home three more valuable three points in this hard-fought win at Gloucestershire FA’s 3G pitch against Roman Glass St George.

The artificial pitch seemed to suit the Cheesemen’s style and from the off, former Weston midfielder Mark Armstrong, relishing his central midfield role, was orchestrating proceedings, while good work by Ricki Bennett and Chris Coombs caused problems for the home defence.

You may also want to watch:

The visitors took the lead when Craig Mawford’s cross was turned past the Roman Glass keeper by a defender and soon after, Adam Jones sharp header whizzed just over the bar.

The hosts levelled when a corner was parried by keeper Mike Dangerfield and the Roman Glass centre-forward made no mistake from eight yards.

Most Read

On 41 minutes, Cheddar won a corner and it was Mawford again with a wonderful assist, which was found by Jones, to powerfully head home from 10 yards.

Just before the break, Mawford was injured in a crude tackle and did not return for the second period, while keeper Dangerfield, who had earlier been involved in a collision, felt too unwell to resume play, so Jones in goal, with substitutes Lewis Matthews and Callum Ham being thrust into the fray.

Ham’s pace caused problems for the home rearguard, and a home player who had earlier received a yellow card, was shown a red card by the referee Payne. Soon after, Ham was upended again and denied a penalty appeal.

On the hour, Cheddar thought they had scored a third goal, Tom Manning’s 25-yard effort ruled out for offside and soon after Coombs was also denied by the flag. With fifteen minutes remaining, the home side were also denied a goal, with the linesman ruling out the goal as Cheddar held out for the win.

Cheddar’s match at Wincanton on Saturday was called off at the 11th hour due to an unfit pitch, but they are back in action when they entertain Devizes Town at Bowdens Park on Saturday (3pm).

Meanwhile, Cheddar Reserves went out of the Somerset Division One and Two cup, cruelly losing 7-6 on penalties, after visitors Saltford had taken an early lead.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus