Cheddar celebrate their 90th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Cheddar Tennis Club celebrated its 90th anniversary with a weekend of celebrations.
CHEDDAR Tennis Club celebrated its 90th anniversary with a wonderful weekend of tennis, easily achieving the 90 sets challenge they had given themselves.
Glorious weather helped keep the courts busy throughout and it was fitting that the committee, who had organised everything superbly, should play the 89th and 90th sets at lunchtime on Sunday, just as the barbecue was warming up.
Prizes were awarded to Helen Mercer, Ruth Rogers, Steve Mercer, Sohail Syed and Chris Rogers for playing the most sets.
The weekend’s events had started with junior members playing mini tennis matches, with fine performances by Eli Horn Paredes at mini orange and Lucas Smith, mini red.
You may also want to watch:
The seniors took over for their traditional unders versus overs tournament, keenly fought as ever, but once again won by the under-50s.
Play continued unabated on Sunday with many former club members coming to the barbecue and some brave enough to test their skills on court once more.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 3 Pupil awarded new bike for attending every lesson
- 4 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 5 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
- 6 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 7 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 8 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 9 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 10 Pilot dairy facility opens in food innovation centre
The final event of the weekend was a parents and juniors mini red doubles tournament, much enjoyed by all who entered and played in a good spirit.
Jack and Martin Brimm won the year four and under group, with Fergus Hammond and Rob Rossiter and Aaron and Richard Heard runners-up.
The year five and over group was won by Sophie and Alex Frankpitt with Maggie Hammond and Sue Spink runners-up.
Club chairman Jennie Colton thanked everyone who had been involved in the celebration, saying it had been a great team effort.
Cheddar Tennis Club members celebrate playing 90 sets at their anniversary weekend.
Cheddar Tennis Club’s special 90th anniversary cake.