Cheddar consolidate top spot

Timsbury Athletic 1 Cheddar 2 - CHEDDAR travelled to Timsbury in confident mood, unbeaten in five games and sitting at the top of the Premier Division.

Timsbury Athletic 1

Cheddar 2

CHEDDAR travelled to Timsbury in confident mood, unbeaten in five games and sitting at the top of the Premier Division.

The team was strong, despite missing Will Gardner and Adam Jones, with a bench that contained three of its talented youngsters, Lewis Matthew, Rob Edwards and Si Mounsdon.

You may also want to watch:

The pattern of the game was similar to last season when the home side showed no desire to attack and kept 10 men behind the ball from the start and tried to frustrate Cheddar.

Cheddar's best chance fell to Paul Whittaker but his close-range header from a Tom Manning free kick was wide but they took the lead when Dean Grubb fed Mike Kay who threw the keeper by rolling the ball into the corner of the net.

Most Read

Playing down the hill in the second half, Cheddar felt they had a perfectly good goal disallowed for offside as Dean Grubb's pace and superb finish was for nothing as the flag went up.

This seemed to lift the home side and they equalised when Cheddar's defending fell apart and a cross from the right found an unmarked striker 10 yards out and his header gave Pete Fowler no chance.

Cheddar had the three youngsters on, with Rob Edwards bringing out a range of passing that was more threatening and Si Mounsdon went close with a header five minutes from the end.

The most telling contribution came from Lewis Matthews when he broke down the left in injury time and his near-post cross was flicked home from close range by Mike

Worle FC 2

Keynsham Town Res 0

THIS scoreline did not reflect the superiority of the Worle team in Division 1.

After a heavy midweek defeat to Street a confidence building win was needed and that is exactly what they got and a keeper error allowed Chris Murphy to score the first goal.

Worle continued to press but conceded a needless penalty late in the first half, however keeper Bangham made a great save.

The second half continued like the first with plenty of Worle pressure and chances but unable to convert. With 15 minutes left, central defender Clark showed the forwards how to score when a jinxing run into the box and a cool finish put the home side 2-0 up and there was no way back for the visitors.

All in all this was a good result for Worle but their finishing and approach play will have to improve when table topping Stockwood Green visit the Rec on Saturday, kick-off 3pm.

Stockwood Vale 2

Langford Rovers 1

ROVERS were condemned to their first Division 1 defeat of the season in this evening kick off.

With several players arriving late in Bristol, Jamie Crandon had to shuffle the side and the home side took advantage by starting better.

It was 1-nil after 15 minutes when a free kick saw a Stockwood player head home at the far post.

Rovers then rallied and started to play some good football and the reward was a superb 25-yard free kick by Wes Wilson which nestled in the bottom corner of the net. Later, Ryan Havard clipped a post from a Wilson corner and the home keeper was forced into two more saves before Rovers pressed the self destruct button at a corner, again not marking and allowing a free header.

In the second period t Ross Neads, Steve Francis and Havard could not find the net though all had chances. Jake Mawford and Adi Knight impressed and Joe Ellis linked well with Scott Ferguson on several occasions, providing a chance for Adi Marshman, who fired over.

Larkhall Res 5

Langford Rovers 2

WITH a depleted squad, Rovers succumbed to their second consecutive Division 1 defeat at the hands of their Bath-based rivals.

Rovers started well, but on 15 minutes the home side took the lead when a throw-in was flicked on for the striker to finish high into the net. It was 2-nil five minutes later when, although seeming to handle when controlling the ball, Larkhall's striker hit a low shot which Nathan Talbot could only palm into the net.

Despite being two down, Rovers still created chances, Wes Wilson the provider for Ryan Havard and Ross Neads who both missed good chances.

Rovers started the second period well, but were twice denied what seemed clear-cut penalties for fouls on Joe Ellis and Havard. Another appeal soon after went unpunished before Rovers went three down when Adi Knight headed into his own net.

Manager Jamie Crandon had to re-shuffle when Havard went off injured, but Rovers managed to claw two quick gaols back. Adi Marshman robbed the keeper and linked with Ferguson and Dave Glimstead for Neads to net, then Marshman won the ball on half way and Dave Wilmott put Neads through who was fouled by the home keeper. And Wilson scored from the spot.

Rovers pressurised the home team but leaked two late goals for a disappointing loss.

Weston St John's 2

Congresbury 1

WESTON St .John's produced a good performance in Division 2 West that was only lacking in more goals.

Saints were forced to change their side around with five of their first team unavailable due to injury or suspension. The changes did not seem to affect the team as they took the game to Congresbury right from the start and after only two minutes some superb build-up play ended with Jack Clark firing a shot through a crowded penalty area to open the scoring.

Saints continued to attack with Rob Winter, Dan Hartley, Joe Whittaker and James Wotton causing the Congresbury defence all kinds of problems. With only ten minutes gone Clark struck again with another superb effort.

Congresbury were limited to occasional attacks and keeper Ian Allchorne and defenders Andy Llewellyn, Nick Jones, Mark Hearne and Joe Radcliffe dealt comfortably with all they had to offer. Mark Adams had an outstanding game in the holding midfield role and worked tirelessly in defence, breaking up a lot of Congresbury possession.

The second half was more of the same as Saints created chance after chance but a mixture of desperate defending and wasteful finishing meant that the score stayed at 2-0.

Going into the final 15 minutes Congresbury put extra men in attack and against the run of play they pulled a goal back. This meant a nervous last few minutes but Saints held on for a well-deserved win. Birnbeck insurance Services player of the match was Joe Radcliffe.

Berrow 1

Banwell 1

BERROW and Berrow played out a draw in a game filled with controversy in Division 2 West.

With the wind at their backs Berrow had the advantage in the first half, but their attacks were well handled by the Banwell defence and Banwell looked more dangerous thanks to the powerful direct running of the wingers.

From an attack down the left Banwell opened the scoring, when Solevabselpe crossed into a melee of players and after the ball had bounced around several times Triffit rifled into the roof of the net from six yards, despite appeals for hand ball by the Berrow defence.

Banwell came out for the second half confident they would build on their first half success, but the wind was so strong it was hard to play football. Berrow's equaliser came late in the second half when appeals for offside were ignored and the striker from the edge of the box lifted the ball over the onrushing keeper, only to see his effort hit the bottom of the cross bar. However the Berrow central midfielder was on hand to head into the net.

Special mention for all the back four with Holden shining at left back, the central midfield of Bradley and Mitchell and the link-up play of Ferris. Man of the match goes to Eivind Solevabselpe.

Cheddar Res 1

Backwell United 1

CHEDDAR found themselves a goal behind early in this Division 2 West game, being caught out by a long ball through the middle of their defence which left their young keeper exposed .

The home side responded well and began to play more of the short passing game encouraged by manager Derek Matthews, bringing Rob Branch much more into the game. They were rewarded with a goal shortly before the interval when John Edwards raced clear on to an intelligent pass from Cheddar's man of the match Arik Wilkutowski, lashing the ball past the oncoming keeper.

Cheddar controlled much of the play for the second period and hit the woodwork on three occasions, but failed to find the elusive winner. They also looked solid defensively with Chris Beers and Alex Murray particularly impressive throughout the game.

Although disappointed at not gaining all three points, Cheddar can take a lot of encouragement from the huge improvements made across the pitch from the previous week's defeat

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter