Cheddar defeat defending champions

Cheddar got their title push back on track after defeating defending champions Shirehampton.

Shirehampton 1

Cheddar 3

LEAGUE leaders Cheddar travelled to last season’s title winners Shirehampton, keen to get their title push back on track after two successive away defeats.

Shirehampton had the first chance, but their striker failed to beat Cheddar keeper Simon Venn, from the edge of the box.

You may also want to watch:

Soon after this Cheddar took the lead when a good ball out of defence from Joel Butcher found Adam Jones 30 yards out. He shot early to score his 13th goal in just 12 games since his annual return from Wells City.

The Cheddar’s defence of King, Underhill, Beers and Brandrick was looking solid and behind them, Simon Venn was commanding. The midfield trio of Joe Green, Mike Kay and Wayne Scorse worked hard, with forwards, Adam Jones and Billy Manning hassling unselfishly.

Most Read

Cheddar scored again when the midfield and forwards linked superbly, leaving Joel Butcher smash home the second goal. The third and decisive goal came as Cheddar broke quickly and ended up with Panes netting to make it 3-0.

With three minutes left Cheddar lost concentration for the first time and Shire scored a consolation goal.

The Cheddar management trio of Tim Richens, Chris Underhill and Mark Green were delighted with this result, but even more so the performance.

Weston St Johns 2

Burnham Utd 2

SAINTS were fortunate to get something out of this game after producing a poor performance against a good Burnham side.

Burnham started the brighter and Saints defenders Mitch Smit, Nick Jones, Andy Llewellyn and Ash Flavell were kept busy by the lively Burnham forwards. Midway through the half Saints keeper Ian Allchorne had to make a spectacular save to keep the scores level.

Burnham took a deserved lead when a striker was left unmarked to score from close range. Saints got off to the worst possible start to the second half when a Burnham striker scored to give them a 2-0 lead.

The game changed when Saints substitute Mike Carpenter went on a mazy run in which he beat three defenders before firing an unstoppable shot over the keeper. Saints came close to equalising when following a corner, Dean Pierson saw his shot cleared off the line. Saints got the equaliser when Adams’ clever pass released Jack Clark and his well-placed shot gave the keeper no chance.

Saints poured forward in search of a winner, but desperate defending by the Burnham defenders meant the game finished 2-2.

Mike Whittaker Building player of the match was Mitch Smit.

Worle 0

Combe St Nicholas 1

WORLE returned to action against a Combe St Nicholas side challenging for honours and eventually went down to a narrow 1-0 defeat.

Worle welcomed back Rich Pearce, Greg Miller, Conor Downs and Ollie Clements, who have all been missing for the last few games.

Worle started slowly and the away team took an early lead when the home defence failed to pick up the centre forward from a set piece.

Worle found it hard throughout the first half to get going, but Combe St Nicholas failed to increase their lead and the home side could only create one effort of note when Ollie Clements’ 30 yards shot was tipped around the post.

The second half was more even, but Combe St Nicholas created a number of chances from set pieces, but Worle battled back and created a couple of chances of their own.

Man of the match was Jack Hodrien.

On Saturday, Worle host top of the table Wrington & Redhill.

Wrington-Redhill 2

Long Ashton 1

HIGH-FLYING Wrington entertained struggling Long Ashton and managed to win 2-1, despite being down to eight men at the finish.

Influential full-back Callum Fisher was replaced within the first minute with an injury. During the reshuffle, Long Ashton took advantage and could have taken the lead.

Wrington began to take control, Sadi, the home custodian fielded the ball and a quick long throw released Burchill. His darting run and sublime finish put the home side one up. Ten minutes later it was two when Neil Andow’s shot was well saved and Tempan followed up to net.

Cheeseman should have killed the game off just before the interval, heading wide from close range.

The second half started brightly for the home side, but after 15 minutes a firm tackle by both players saw the official brandish a straight red for Lucas. Within 10 minutes a goalbound effort was handled on the line by Cheeseman, giving the official no option but to send him off.

Long Ashton scored from the spot and within minutes and with all substitutions made, Burchall took a knock and went off. The Wrington eight worked tirelessly to hold on for victory.

TR Demolition man of the match was Paul Burnett.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus