Cheddar lose unbeaten record

Cheddar 2 Bishops Lydeard 4 - CHEDDAR lost their unbeaten Premier Division record this season through a mixture of horrible defensive mistakes and extremely poor finishing. Cheddar put out a strong team against opponents that had started the season with onl

Cheddar 2

Bishops Lydeard 4

CHEDDAR lost their unbeaten Premier Division record this season through a mixture of horrible defensive mistakes and extremely poor finishing.

Cheddar put out a strong team against opponents that had started the season with only one defeat in their opening eight games and were able to welcome back Whittaker, Manning, Kay and Edmonds from county duty and started the game positively, taking the game to their visitors.

You may also want to watch:

Cheddar opened the scoring after five minutes when a Dean Grubb cross was volleyed home by top scorer Adam Jones from 15 yards.They kept bombing forward and Dave Phillips had two excellent chances to extend the lead but his usual finishing was off standard. Cheddar doubled the lead on 25 minutes when a Tom Manning corner was knocked on by Grubb for Will Gardner to score from six yards

Cheddar continued to attack and there seemed only be one outcome, but Lydeard were always breaking quickly and they scored from the penalty spot after their winger was brought down by Matthews, beating Pete Fowler's dive.

Most Read

Early in the second half, a cross came in from the Bishops Lydeard left which Pete Fowler caught near the edge of his box and his defenders moved upfield. But then the keeper dropped the ball and the Lydeard striker scored from 12 yards. The home side were devastated and their composure shaken and instead of rebuilding they bombed forward in search of the winner.

They were caught on the break and, despite getting three defenders back against one forward, the visitors scored again.

Cheddar still piled forward and several good chances were created and missed. Adam Jones managed to hit the bar and Tom Parsons had a header pushed on to the post by a defender, with his hand according to most people at that end of the ground but not seen by the referee.

With four minutes of injury time played the visitors made the game safe when the four attackers, who broke following a Cheddar corner, found themselves with one defender and the keeper to beat. This they did to wrap up the points that their effort and commitment probably deserved, though the balance of the game was very much Cheddar's.

Cleeve West Town 0

Langford Rovers 4

A RYAN Havard hat-trick propelled Rovers back to winning ways in Division 1 after a four-match streak without a win.

The home side started well, pressing with pace down their right flank. Rovers struggled to get their foot on the ball, but never looked likely to concede early on until a turning point on the half hour when keeper Nathan Talbot saved well from a Cleeve striker.

Rovers then eased into the game, and started to create. Wes Wilson was at the centre of everything good Rovers did, and his pass found Rich Parkes who was brought down in the area but without reward while Havard forced the home keeper to pull off a point-blank save.

With scores even at the break, Rovers re-grouped and then produced a fine second-half performance. Havard rounded the keeper for the first after a through ball from Wilson. Wilson then added the second from a well struck 25-yard free kick. With Adi Knight excellent at the back with Scott Ferguson, Rovers pushed on and Havard tapped home after closing the keeper down.

Joe Ellis and Jamie Crandon worked tirelessly in the middle, and the score line was complete when Leigh White broke free and squared for Havard to claim his third, and Rovers fourth of the game.

Rovers entertain Larkhall at home this Saturday.

Banwell 4

Churchill 0

BANWELL looked to continue their great start to the season at home to Churchill in the first local derby in several years.

The home side started brighter and midway through the first half Stevens opened the scoring from Mitchell's precise cross. It was disappointing to see Banwell lose their focus after this goal and this enabled Churchill to settle.

Without really creating any chances Churchill played the better football until the end of the half and it was the Banwell team that left the pitch at half time a little disappointed despite holding the advantage.

There was no need for a hair dryer moment in the changing room, as many senior players and the management took control of the situation and the team refocused their attentions back on the game.

In what was a one-sided second half Banwell went on to score three more goals, one each for wingers Solevagseide and Gardener and a rare goal from Bradley. Credit must be given to Churchill whose heads remained positive and if it was not for some resolute defending would have been on the end of a cricket score.

Another great team performance sees Banwell unbeaten after the opening five games of the season, the back four and keeper should take a lot of credit and their constant determination to keep it blank is a great solid platform for which the midfield and attack can build upon.

Man of the match went to Bradley for a tireless performance, capped this time with a goal which has been lacking in previous games.

Weston St John's 0

Wells City 0

STJOHN'S and Wells played out a goalless draw in what was a hard fought battle in a Division 2 West game of few chances.

Wells started the brighter but Saints defenders Dave Wilcox, Ash Flavell, Nick Jones and Mark Hearne restricted them to few chances. Saints did not offer much in attack but a couple of efforts from Dan Hartley and Jack Clark flew wide.

The second half saw Saints controlling the game with Mark Adams and James Wotton dominating the midfield. Clark's running was causing Wells problems and Hartley saw a good effort go just over the bar. Minutes later Joe Whittaker saw a superb long-range effort clear the bar with the keeper well beaten.

Wells were still dangerous on the counter attack and Ian Allchorne made a couple of fine saves and when he was beaten Flavell got back to clear the ball off the line. Saints were fortunate when an effort from a Wells striker following a corner clipped the bar before being cleared. Late in the half Juzzy Flavell made his long-awaited comeback after serious injury. He had one chance but it was saved and the game ended goalless. Weston Costcutters player of the match was Dave Wilcox.

CONGRESBURY FC has a vacancy for a reserve team manager. This position would be working closely with the first team manager to develop football throughout the club. Presently in Weston and District Division 3, the team has a strong squad of young and experienced players. Interested contact Ady Hembery on 07786 586728.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus