Cheddar prove too strong for their visitors

Liam Kingston.

Liam Kingston. - Credit: Archant

Cheddar striker Chris Coombs netted a hat-trick to help his side to a comfortable victory over Warminster.

Cheddar 4

Warminster Town 0

Two goals in each half including a stunning hat-trick from man of the match Chris Coombs, secured the three points for the Cheesemen against their Wiltshire visitors.

As Cheddar began to settle, wide men Coombs and Callum Ham freely found space alternating the channels and the latter could well have put his side in front on 12 minutes.

You may also want to watch:

On 21 minutes stand-in skipper Adam Jones threaded a sublime pass to Coombs, who made no mistake in finding the net. Two minutes later, Cheddar doubled their lead from Ricky Bennett’s corner, when Coombs glanced home Shaun Lambert’s header.

Warminster hit the post on 67 minutes before good work by Bennett and Billy Vaughan set up Coombs for his hat-trick.

Most Read

Cheddar added their fourth goal with 15 minutes remaining, with Bennett and Kris Bell combining well before the former’s cross found big striker Jones to head home.

The Cheesemen welcomed back manager Jared Greenhalgh from his European travels, also gave a debut to 16-year-old goalkeeper Liam Kingston, who repaid the manager’s faith with a highly competent display.

The Bowdens Park side travel to their first away league match on Saturday with a trip to Almondsbury.

Cheddar 2

Bishops Lydeard 4

The Cheesemen found themselves up against it when their regular goalkeeper turned his ankle in the warm-up and was replaced by centre back Danny Griffiths and striker Robbi Maggs failed a late fitness test.

Cheddar were still settling into their rhythm shortly after kick off, when defender Craig Mawford was adjudged to have felled a Lydeard striker in the box.

Mawford was shown the red card and the spot kick converted.

More drama was to occur on 14 minutes when Lydeard were awarded another penalty, but this time Griffiths was equal to the task and saved brilliantly, but the rebound was netted. Worse was to follow on the half-hour when Lydeard scored their third goal.

With a one man and three goal deficit, Cheddar forced their way back into contention with George Booth, Callum Ham and Ricky Bennett all testing the visitors’ defence, before Adam Jones pulled a goal back.

It came as no surprise when Cheddar pulled another goal back on 67 minutes, Lewis Matthews netting from close range.

With four minutes remaining, Lydeard’s Charlie Wilson side stepped his marker to send a low shot just inside the far upright for a slightly flattering scoreline.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus