Cheddar Reservoir host winter championships
Bristol Corinthian Yacht Club has a full programme of events and races planned.
BRISTOL Corinthian Yacht Club at Cheddar Reservoir hosted the Winter Championships for the single-handed OK class dinghy.
Eighteen competitors from as far away as Morecambe Bay took part in the event and with a north east breeze coming over the Mendips, the racing was held in unpredictable wind shifts, varying in both strength and direction. The result was three challenging races, especially with the stronger afternoon breeze.
Former world champion and current national champion, Jim Hunt from Blithfield, Sailing Club, dominated the event, winning two out of three races and the event, but he did not have things all his own way, with local club member, 21-year-old Mark Billowes taking race two by a significant margin.
Second and third places overall were taken by visitors Terry Curtis and Simon Cowood, but home club sailor Ian Harris, who lives in Axbridge, helped uphold the club honour, taking fourth place with Mark Billowes in fifth overall.
You may also want to watch:
The club has a full programme of events and races planned for the year ahead at Cheddar Reservoir.
There is a variety of club events for dinghies and windsurfing, plus some open days for beginners.
- 1 Gates to be replaced as work continues to reopen Marine Lake
- 2 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 3 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 4 Disruption to school transport due to driver shortage
- 5 Council issues advice after collapse of energy companies
- 6 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 7 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon
- 8 People encouraged to have Covid booster to protect them from virus
- 9 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 10 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
For more information, go to www.bcyc.org.uk or e-mail email@example.com