Cheddar rise to third spot in the league
- Credit: Archant
Cheddar rose to third spot in the league table after beating Devizes Town.
Devizes Town 1
CHEDDAR, fresh from an outstanding 6-1 win last weekend, returned from Devizes with all three points to move up to third spot in Toolstation Division 1.
Intelligent running from deep by both Craig Mawford and Alex Brandrick complemented the speed of Ben Ricketts and Sam Jones up front and it was Jones’ pass which set up Tom Manning for the opening goal.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors had further chances by Adam Jones and Sam King, but Devizes got back on level terms three minutes into injury time at the end of the first-half.
The second half developed into a scrappy tussle, Devizes seemingly wanting to stop Cheddar at all costs with some over zealous challenges at times. Rory Collins was red carded, followed shortly after by a similar fate for Jake Roberts.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 3 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 6 Hospital trust defends patient-to-nurses ratio increase
- 7 Airport to receive £8million grant to 'protect jobs'
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 Weston shop offering personalised fudge gift boxes
- 10 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
The highlight of this tough, but engaging encounter came on 86 minutes, with skipper George Booth finishing off a fine move involving Jamie Howson and Jones, the latter beating two defenders and rifling an unstoppable shot past the home keeper for the winner.
The three points puts the Cheesemen in third place, two games in hand on second placed Hengrove and four games in hand on leaders Corsham.
The Bowden’s Park side are at home to second-bottom placed Wincanton on Saturday and a win for the Cheesemen could see them rise to second place.
Cheddar FC are looking for both match ball and match day sponsors and anyone wishing to learn more information on the club’s hospitality packages are encouraged to contact secretary Alan Cooper by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 07845 870812.