Cheddar suffer two defeats in two matches

Cheddar Football Club.

Cheddar Football Club. - Credit: Archant

Cheddar suffered two defeats over the Bank Holiday weekend, denting their promotion hopes.

Chipping Sodbury 2

Cheddar 0

Cheddar’s preparations for this match against the league leaders was hit by injury and illness the evening before the match.

The patched-up Cheddar side had to withstand a number of Sodbury attacks, but they stuck well to their game plan, Adam Jones in particular getting through an enormous amount of work.

You may also want to watch:

Tom Manning was thrust into the fray and his impact was immediate, but he had to withstand several hefty challenges himself.

The second half was also hotly contested, but it was Sodbury who looked the more likely to score and defender Craig Mawford had to hook a snap shot from a Sodbury striker off the line.

Most Read

Cheddar keeper Dangerfield did well to keep the Sodbury attack at bay, but a debatable penalty changed the course of the game with 15 minutes remaining, the referee pointing to the spot following a challenge by Jones in the 18-yard area.

Minutes later, the Cheesemen were dealt another below when Chris Coombs was forced off injured. Sodbury added a second goal in the dying minutes.

Wells City 4

Cheddar 2

Cheddar went into their local derby with near neighbours Wells City on the back of a crunching defeat from table-toppers Chipping Sodbury and found it difficult against a highly-motivated Wells side.

The visitors fell behind to a 24th minute penalty when Wells skipper Jake Brown was adjusted to have been fouled in the area. The same player got up and sent the Cheddar keeper the wrong way from the spot.

The home side went further ahead 10 minutes later, when Leon Britton fired past Mike Dangerfield. Shortly after, Cheddar in their first real attack, almost scored through Adam Jones, but his header was well saved by Wells ‘keeper Will Justin.

Cheddar were definitely second best in the first period, but somewhat against the run of play pulled a goal back on the stroke of half-time when Jones reduced the arrears.

Manager Jared Greenhalgh was forced to reshuffle his side at the break with both Craig Mawford and Sam King sitting out the second half with injury and illness respectively.

The Cheesemen’s impact was immediate and a long throw from substitute Joe Grant, found the head of Tom Manning, whose cushioned header was brilliantly turned over the bar by the Wells keeper.

A brilliant ball from Cheddar man of the match Mark Armstrong was threaded through to Robbi Maggs, who made no mistake from 18 yards for the equaliser.

Moments earlier from a very similar move, Armstrong had found Callum Ham, but the striker’s good shot was well smothered by keeper on a one-on-one situation.

The momentum was suddenly switched to the home side as an error from the Cheddar keeper, allowed Wells to score a tap-in. Wells scored again with just four minutes remaining to give a slightly flattering scoreline in their favour.

Cheddar were selected as winners of the Toolstation Western League Division One sportsmanship award for January/February.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter