Cheesemen knocked out of FA Vase despite brave fight

Callum Ham.

Callum Ham. - Credit: Archant

Cheddar were knocked out of the FA Vase in extra time away to Clevedon.

Clevedon Town 3

Cheddar 1

Cheddar’s participation in the FA Vase came to an abrupt halt at Clevedon Town’s Everyone Active Stadium, the match going to extra time.

Clevedon were frustrated by the quality goalkeeping of Liam Kingston, who pushed Daine O’Connor’s drive over the bar on five minutes. Soon after, inspirational captain George Booth went off injured and was replaced by Mark Armstrong, with Craig Mawford taking the captain’s armband.

You may also want to watch:

The visitors almost struck first blood on 38 minutes, when Maggs’ forward pass found Coombs, whose quick thinking had Clevedon keeper Rhys Hutchings dashing off his line to head clear. Minutes earlier, Ricky Bennett’s swerving pile driver had been well saved by the young Clevedon keeper.

As the first-half drew to a close, the Cheesemen were dealt another blow, when long-term injury victim Sam Jones, fell awkwardly and took no further part in the game.

Most Read

Deep into first-half injury time, Sam King was desperately unlucky to see his powerful header well saved by the keeper.

Substitute Callum Ham made his presence immediately felt after the break and on 51 minutes put his side in front with a quality goal. Moments later came the best move of the match when a delightful three-man Cheddar move involving Vaughan, Maggs and Armstrong, split the home defence wide open, the latter’s shot bouncing inches wide of the post.

Clevedon levelled on 62 minutes when Kevin Camargo’s 25-yard volley beat Kingston. Cheesemen were not finished and a brilliant Mawford drive was tipped over the bar by Hutchings in the closing minutes of normal time.

In the dying minutes a clever Billy Vaughan flick found Armstrong who headed just over. At the other end Clevedon’s Jamie Fisher tested Kingston with a low drive.

Cheddar went behind in the eighth minute of extra time when a speculative Yeates cross found its way inside Kingston’s near post. The side never gave up the cause, but conceded a third goal on 103 minutes, Liam Knight scoring the final goal.

The Cheesemen travel to second-placed Keysham Town in the Toolstation Western League on Saturday and on Tuesday, host Calne Town (7.45pm).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus