Children benefit from tennis coaching
Avenue Tennis Club coaches branch out to the local schools.
PART of the Avenue Tennis Club’s attempts to encourage more players into tennis, East Brent School Year group threes visited the club for a fun morning of tennis with coaches Vinny Duddy and Craig Phillips.
The coaches took the kids through a series of warm-up and coordination exercises and then went through forehand and backhand shots with the ultimate aim of ensuring the kids could finish off the session with the ability to play two fun games – ghost in the graveyard and jail break.
The coaches also attended East Brent School and spent the day going through racket skills and games to show the kids to see that you don’t actually need a tennis court to have some fun with a racket and ball.
The club are also due to visit Lympsham School, Burnham Infants, St Andrews, Mark, St Josephs, Berrow and Churchfields. The club would like to remind parents that the children are all given vouchers offering a free session at the club on either the Friday night Vinny’s Minis or a coaching session on Saturday mornings.
You may also want to watch:
The next Sunday social session will actually be on Saturday from around 12.30-3pm, stopping to watch the FA Cup final on the club’s large screen.
On Sunday from 11am, the next BW Controls Ltd Mini Red (Under-8) tournament will be held. An Orange Ball (eight to Under-10) tournament will also be held from around 1pm, numbers permitting.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 4 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 5 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 6 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 7 Talent show judge releases book on postnatal depression
- 8 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 9 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 10 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
Junior coaching sessions are available at the club every night of the week and on Saturdays from 9am-2.30pm for all age groups and standards. Adult coaching is available for beginners/returners to the game on Friday nights (6.30-8pm) and for players who have played before on a Thursday (7.15-9.15pm).
If you just want to keep fit hitting tennis balls then why not try out cardio tennis on a Wednesday evening from 7.30-8.30pm.
Details of coaching and what’s on can be obtained from the club’s website (www.avenuetennis.com) or you can ring the club on 01278 782758.