Churchill pay the price for missed chances

CHURCHILL Club 70 Under-13s drew 2-2 with Clevedon United Juniors, which was a fair result with the sides evenly matched on the day.

CHURCHILL Club 70 Under-13s drew 2-2 with Clevedon United Juniors, which was a fair result with the sides evenly matched on the day.

Clevedon took an early lead with a fine strike, but Churchill responded well and equalised midway through the half with a goal by Woody Bourton.

Both sides were creating chances and Churchill took the lead with a goal from Brad Middleton-Cattle after Clevedon failed to clear a goalmouth scramble. Churchill took the initiative and created several openings but failed to increase their lead and paid the price when Clevedon scored just before half-time.

The second half was played with both sides having periods of ascendency, but with defences holding out and chances missed, the scoreline remained unchanged.

You may also want to watch:

Churchill defenders James Stewart-Maggs and Ethan Etherington gave solid performances and deserve credit for Clevedon not scoring in the second half.

KEWSTOKE Athletic Under-14s started the New Year with a hard fought 3-2 win against Portishead.

Most Read

Against the run of play and despite several on target shots from Oli Norville, Marc Frost, Corey Kellaway and Josh Donoghue, the away side took the lead with a penalty.

Kewstoke increased the pressure displaying some superb football with Kellaway scoring two goals in succession to take a lead into the break.

The second half started with solid defending from keeper James Adams, Harry Walsh, James Biggs, Kaylem Rowlands and Kieran Smith. Kewstoke kept mounting attacks from the midfield of Theo Payan and Kieren Malone.

A second penalty awarded to Portishead drew the sides level with 10 minutes left to play. This did not deter a spirited Kewstoke side and with a stylish display of one-touch football, Marc Frost rounded the keeper to slot home the winning goal.

UK Installations man of the match was Marc Frost; improved performance: Josh Donoghue and star of the week was Corey Kellaway.

Kewstoke Under-14s started brightly against Milton Nomads and Rhys Spurling gave them a 2-0 lead. Jake Sprague scored the third just before half-time.

After the break, Kewstoke piled on the pressure and Spurling scoring his third and Sprague creating and scoring two more. Soon after, Spurling got his fourth, but with Kewstoke’s defence trying to get in on the action, Nomads scored on the break.

Undeterred, Jack West scored a great goal and defenders Macauly Smith and Josh Kay both scored Kewstoke’s ninth and 10th respectively.

The Ridgway Pine men of the match were Rhys Spurling and Jake Sprague.

The Under-10s A team were put under early pressure by Cheddar, but Kewstoke’s goalie Sam Carter and defenders George Creech and Charlie Sweeting put a stop to everything that came their way.

Some great midfield work from Joel Crinson ensured that Kewstoke came back, which resulted in a goal from Ryan Pugh. Genethius Teboh was denied a certain goal when his boot found a divot in front of goal and the ball rolled wide.

The second half started well when Andy Page Web Design man of the match Kieran Hill scored his first goal of the season. Mikey Nicholls and Mateo Turvey continued to partner with Pugh and set up Hill for his second and Kewstoke’s third.

A break down the middle resulted in a well-deserved goal for Cheddar. Despite the late goal, Kewstoke pulled together and captain Jake Manville scored the fourth goal.

The Under-10s B team started slowly against Cheddar. The first decent passage of play led to Kewstoke’s first goal, some one-touch passing followed by a Jake Dunn through ball saw Sam Ford score in the top corner.

In the second half, Kewstoke retained more possession with captain Thomas Perry leading from the back. Kewstoke’s second goal came after some unselfish play from Szymon Swierczyna, his pass led to a powerful effort from Ashley Hastewell which the keeper did well to parry, only for Ford to score the second.

Kewstoke’s man of the match in this 2-0 win was Tim Page.

PRIORY Under-18s played Ashton and Backwell in a high-scoring game.

Priory took a while to get going and conceded from a corner in the first few minutes of the match. An equaliser came from Rob Parsons with Matt Borrett assisting the goal. Soon after, the opposition scored from the penalty spot.

Priory equalised again with Dan Thomas scoring. The first half ended with Ashton scoring just before the break to lead 2-3.

Priory entered the second half refocused and Thomas quickly scored to level the score again. Priory took the lead for the first time with a deflected cross from Sam Jarvis.

Shortly after Ashton conceded a penalty which Alex Macaulay converted. In the 65th minute, Alex Maclean slotted the ball in from a corner. The last goal of the game came from Thomas to complete his hat-trick. Priory won the game 7-3. Man of the match was James Connolly.

Priory Rangers Under-16s travelled to St George Easton-in-Gordano and came away with a 3-2 victory.

Priory started brightly and soon put St George under pressure with shots on target from Angelo Fagnani and Ben Macaulay and the midfield duo of Joe Reames and man of the match Ross Goldstone were having fine games.

The Priory defence were also on top form and it was a run from left-back Ashley Smith that set up the first goal, his through pass to Kyle Smith was slotted home to put the visitors one up.

By now, St George were trying to get more into the game, but John Hunt, Chris Bridges and Ross Wood at the heart of Priory defence remained solid. Joe Cox came on in place of the injured Bridges and his persistence allowed Jack Hodrien to slot home the second.

The second half started as the first with Priory dominating and it was not long before Priory added a third through Smith. Priory then became complacent and allowed St George to score two quick goals.

Priory keeper Callum Neate made three fine saves to keep Priory in the game. Declan Whittle came on as sub for Priory and nearly scored with a long range lob as Priory held on to record their fourth win in a row.

CRUSADERS Under-15s kicked off 2011 with a win away to Cheddar Valley.

Crusaders started the first half brightly with fine passing football and good team play and constant pressurising from Kieren White, led to him assisting James Lawrence for the opening goal.

It wasn’t long to wait before a through ball from Joe Godfrey found Lawrence for his second and soon after a great ball from Ryan Elkins found Lawrence once more for the third and his hat-trick. But Cheddar always looked good from set play and led to them getting one back from a free kick.

The second half was a hard fought affair that saw three players subbed off with injuries, but the midfield of Cyrus Molton, Mike Dancer, Mike Hosey and Jordan Bolitho battled hard and at the back Tom Light, Callum Bliss-Climo, Jack Bridgman, Callum Wilson and Billy Morrisey knew that if anything got through, Luke Loveridge would stop it.

Aaron Thomas was strong up front and held the ball well, but the fourth and final goal of the match came when Bolitho set up Elkins.

Formula 1st man of the match was awarded to Luke Loveridge.

HUTTON Under-13s were grateful to play their first game of football since November against Cheddar.

Hutton played with five across midfield, frustrating the Cheddar team with some good strong tackling. Playing up front, Nathan James battled hard on his own, laying off some good balls to the supporting midfield.

James Difford, Josh Pratt, Ryan Jefferies, Alfie Hardy and Matty Jones all played their part in trying to win the midfield battle and the teams went into the break 0-0.

After a half time team talk, Hutton started to create a few openings which nearly paid off, Difford and James having shots saved. Elliott Smith came on for Matty and battled hard on the left, well supported by Jefferies.

The Hutton defence of Alexander Kilpatrick, Stefan Thomson-Rose, Dan Cox and George Thorne and keeper Oliver Edwards were all in good form. The last minutes nearly saw Hutton nick it when Pratt’s cross went narrowly wide.

With many contenders, the A 2 Z Gardening & Tree Maintenance man of the match went to Dan Cox.

The Under-12s played their first game in more than six weeks, away at top of the table Winscombe.

Hutton started with keeper Charlie Walford, Kyle Sampson, Liam Birch and Joe Taylor in defence, Eli Butt, Fraser Ham, Billy Miller and Morgan Bacon, Tom Miller in midfield and Ben Grice and Tom Hayes up front.

Hayes, Grice, Ham and Miller all went close, then Butt had a mazy run and his cross found Hayes, who was just wide of the post. Hutton scored a great goal when Hayes used his pace to get to the byline and his cross was met by Bacon to go 1-0 up.

After the break, Hutton were put under pressure, but good defending kept them out. On the odd time they did get through, Walford was on top form. Winscombe started to pile on the pressure and were rewarded with an equaliser.

The Grand Pier man of the match went to Liam Birch.

WINSCOMBE Under-11s started brightly with Matthew Gilmore feeding James Ford, whose shot was well saved by the Burnham keeper.

At the other end, Winscombe’s Will Shergold, Theo Thornton Matthews and Piers Langford were commanding in defence. Man of the match Jack Drake came close for Winscombe, but Burnham hit back with a shot which Winscombe keeper Ben Meakin saved.

Winscombe’s Jai Nevison and Billy Berry linked well in midfield and the lively Jack Drake gave Winscombe the lead. Burnham tried to strike back just before half-time, but Meakin saved well.

Burnham began the second half well with Toby Willcock forced to make a crucial tackle and it was not long until Burnham levelled. Winscombe pressed for a second goal and were rewarded when Toby was brought down. George Fairchild’s penalty was well saved by the Burnham keeper.

James Hart, Philip Skinnarland and Max Bretherton came on, but both sides were unable to add to the score which remained 1-1, which was a fair reflection of the game.

BANWELL Under-14s beat Gordano 4-3 in an exciting encounter.

In the first half, Banwell started well and a fine passing move involving Ollie Habgood and Joe Brett led to Jake Thomas scoring. Despite the Banwell midfield of Keiran Bellingham, Ben Clatworthy and Mitchell Collins creating chances, they could not add to the score.

Up front, Arron Staples worked hard without reward. Against the run of play, Gordano scored three times, before Belligham scored just before half-time to make it 2-3.

After the break, Banwell came out and dominated with Ethan Johnson marshalling the defence of Joe Lawrence, Sam Bond and Kallum Gavin as Gordano had few chances. Keeper Jordan Sotiris gave another fine.

It was left to captain Brett to finish off Gordano with two well-taken individual goals to give Banwell a deserved victory.

Man of the match was Ethan Johnson.

Banwell Under-14s are looking for experienced players to strengthen their squad for the season. Anyone interested should contact Julian Bond on 01934 643169.

AXBRIDGE Saxons Under-13s and Nailsea Athletic enjoyed an attractive and competitive game, played sportingly with good passing and finishing.

Saxon’s keeper, Will Henry, pulled out a stupendous save early in the game. Nailsea increasingly gave Saxons space, which allowed them to use their width. At half-time, 3-0 should have been comfortable for the away team, but Nailsea hit back with two goals by exploiting some tiredness at the back. Fresh legs bolstered Saxon’s defence and put them back on the front foot.

Saxons celebrated a good team performance with Ollie Fortune getting player of the week. Saxons’ goalscorers were Sam Newton, Matt Bush, Harry Tucker, Will Starks and Jack Hanlon (2).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus