Claverham ease to victory at Nailsea

CLAVERHAM Seconds continued their run of victories against Nailsea with a seven-wicket win at The Grove.

CLAVERHAM Seconds continued their run of victories against Nailsea with a seven-wicket win at The Grove.

Although the winning margin appears wide Claverham were made to fight hard for the runs after dismissing the hosts for 124.

Simon Holmes won the toss for the fourth consecutive match and put Nailsea in.

Ross Titmuss and Jason Coupland opened up and while Ross quickly found a good line and length Jason struggled to find either, which was surprising considering his six-wicket haul the previous week.

You may also want to watch:

Both bowlers struck in their third overs, Ross demolishing Holly's stumps while Coupland landed the plum wicket of Hopkinson, well snaffled by James Clack.

Nailsea never really recovered from this double setback while Claverham stepped up a gear in both the bowling and fielding departments.

Most Read

Titmuss was proving hard to get away and was rewarded with three more wickets, two to sharp slip catches by Clack and Keith Miles.

Sam Waring replaced Coupland and showed what Claverham have been missing from him this season with a useful eight over spell of 2-22. Richard Coombes (1-32) also chipped in with a wicket and Clack (2-10) picked up his usual quota of victims as the innings closed with a superb over the shoulder catch from Coupland.

For Nailsea there was promise from Tom Hicks (27) and Liam Lester (24) while for Claverham Titmuss finished with 4-16 from 11 overs.

One hundred and twenty four looked a decent score as the Claverham openers were dismissed early on, fending off short deliveries from the pacy but erratic Taylor (2-40).

Lester, then Rowcliffe, also caused no end of problems to Mike Lee and Jon Watts with mere survival proving difficult as the ball jagged around.

Spike hung around for a lengthy period and though he scored only 12 his innings was invaluable as the momentum was taken away from the bowlers.

As the Nailsea attack tired, Keith Miles, after a quiet start, decided to go on the offensive and within an hour the game was over as he went to the air, carefully avoiding any fielders.

He hit seven fours and two sixes, including an enormous blow over long on to seal victory. The partnership with Watts, who played a good supporting role with an unbeaten 31, added 87 runs.

Claverham remain top of the league, with six games remaining, but face a tough match on Saturday at home to second place Bishopston.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter