Clevedon hang on for victory
St Mary s 14 pts Clevedon 23 pts - ON an afternoon made for running rugby, Clevedon produced some excellent play in the first quarter and took an early lead with a penalty from Ben Hazeldine.
St Mary's 14 pts
Clevedon 23 pts
ON an afternoon made for running rugby Clevedon produced some excellent play in the first quarter and took an early lead with a penalty from Ben Hazeldine.
Play became scrappy and St Mary's seemed content to just kick away possession. A quick tapped penalty brought the first try for Clevedon with Simon Johns gliding over and Hazeldine converted.
You may also want to watch:
Hazeldine increased the lead with a penalty and good work by Ashley Vailes put Joe Williams in for a try. Before the break the hosts scored a converted try from a catch and drive at the line-out. Both sides struggled at the line-out and this area became a lottery.
The second half was not for the purist. Too many mistakes were made by both sides. St Mary's playing up the slope applied a great deal of pressure but Clevedon dug deep.
- 1 Man charged with rape and sexual assaults
- 2 Former Weston loanee Waite confirms Cardiff City departure
- 3 May 17: Restaurants reopen indoors and soft play areas welcome youngsters
- 4 May 17: Backwell pool reopens after £400k works
- 5 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 6 Rapid Covid testing service goes mobile to reach more people across North Somerset
- 7 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 8 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 9 Potter hails 'invaluable' Cheddar experience will help at Wells City
- 10 What can I do when Covid lockdown eases on May 17?
Eventually Clevedon scored a try through Ashley Vailes who caused chaos at the base of the scrum. Back came Mary's and Clevedon, now down to 13 men through injuries and sin bin, hung on for their lives
A great attacking move by Clevedon saw their final pas intercepted resulting in a converted try for Mary's. The final whistle came as great relief to the Clevedon team.
Next Saturday, home to Torquay, kick-off 3pm.