Clevedon progress in the FA Cup

Clevedon Town 4 Wimborne Town 2 - CLEVEDON Town entertained Wimborne Town from the Sydenhams Wessex League Premier Division in the FA Cup first qualifying round, and progressed safely to the next round.

Clevedon Town 4

Wimborne Town 2

CLEVEDON Town entertained Wimborne Town from the Sydenhams Wessex League Premier Division in the FA Cup first qualifying round, and progressed safely to the next round with a convincing victory.

Craig Loxton returned to the starting line-up in place of suspended Tom Billing, and Sam Small was preferred up front to Aaron Blakemore, who was named as a substitute. With Callum Fisher at right back and Pete Sheppard at left back, Josh Brigham and Matthew Walsh moved up into midfield.

You may also want to watch:

The visitors were quick to test Danny Greaves, who made two regulation saves. On 11 minutes Joey Evans went close for Clevedon when his acrobatic lob hit the bar. Five minutes later a great through ball from Ellis Wilmot found Matthew Walsh wide on the left and his accurate cross was headed against the near post by Josh Brigham, who then reacted quickly to tap the loose ball into the net and put the Seasiders ahead.

Sam Lockyer put in a dangerous cross for Wimborne before Clevedon dominated the rest of the first period. On 25 minutes a quickly taken free kick gave Walsh another chance to cross, but this time Brigham blasted the volley over when he should have scored. On 30 minutes Wilmot played another defence-splitting pass to Evans who tried to flick the ball past the keeper, but he made a save with his outstretched arm. Craig Loxton followed up the loose ball, but his shot was blocked.

Most Read

But Clevedon were not to be denied and they went 2-0 up when Sam Small chased down a back pass to the keeper, dispossessed him, and walked the ball into an open goal. Evans then had another shot well saved, and Small blasted the rebound over the bar.

On 41 minutes a Walsh corner was headed on by Brigham to Dale Peckham who headed for goal only to see the Wimborne keeper make a great save. At the end of the first half James Stokoe and Lockyer again both had half chances for Wimborne, but shot wide, and Clevedon went in at half time well worth their two-goal lead.

At the start of the second half Clevedon again took the game to their opponents, and on 50 minutes a great long ball found Brigham on the right and his perfectly weighted cross enabled Evans to beat the keeper at his near post for 3-0.

Wimborne were still working hard to get back into the game, and Stokoe missed another half chance, but on 63 minutes they reduced the arrears with a swift break down the right and a cross that was tapped in by Tom Clarke. On 70 minutes Walsh had a shot well saved, and just a minute later a clearance found Aaron Blakemore, who had just come on for Small, and he rounded the keeper and finished well from a tight angle.

Again Wimborne came back at their hosts and got their second goal on 81 minutes when a corner was too high for Greaves to catch and Scott Joyce headed powerfully home at the back post. Sam Jones came on as a late substitute to make a welcome return from a long injury lay-off, and the Seasiders went close a couple more times through Brigham and Evans.

Clevedon's next home league game will be on Saturday, October 10, against Banbury United, kick-off 3pm.

Portishead Town Under-18s 1

Clevedon Town Under-18s 2

IN a tight game of good football, Portishead took the lead in this FA Youth Cup game after 15 minutes when Clevedon's defence was all at sixes and sevens.

The game was even in the first period and after 35 minutes Clevedon opened their account when James Adams fed Bev Ricketts who put Robert Harroway in to score from close range.

The game turned slightly in Clevedon's favour and they scored the second in the 40th minute when a cross from the right by Matthew Wright found Adam West whose shot was parried by the Portishead keeper to Jamie Adams who scored.

In the second half, Clevedon had more of the possession, but there was no more scoring. In the next round, on September 24, Clevedon are away to Forest Green Rovers. Anyone wishing to travel, please contact Pat O'Brien on 07765 450391.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter