Clevedon progress to the next round
Clevedon Town 3 Frome Town 0 - CLEVEDON Town entertained Frome Town and progressed to the second round of the Red Insure Cup with a comfortable 3-0 victory.
Clevedon Town 3
Frome Town 0
CLEVEDON Town entertained Frome Town and progressed to the second round of the Red Insure Cup with a comfortable 3-0 victory.
With some regular defenders either injured or unavailable, Tom Billing started at centre-half alongside Lee Molyneaux.
You may also want to watch:
Clevedon had the better of the first 45 minutes, with some good approach play, with several dangerous crosses from Jamal Easter and Joey Evans on the right, and Pete Sheppard and Matthew Walsh on the left. Despite their dominance the Seasiders failed to really test the Robins' keeper, Daffyd Jones. The closest Frome came was a shot well over the bar from Ashley Clarke.
Clevedon dominated the second half and on 53 minutes a cross found Joey Evans unmarked at the back post and, and when his effort was blocked, Josh Brigham was on hand to drive the ball home for 1-0.
- 1 Gates to be replaced as work continues to reopen Marine Lake
- 2 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 3 Disruption to school transport due to driver shortage
- 4 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 5 Council issues advice after collapse of energy companies
- 6 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon
- 7 Procession held at beach memorial to give thanks to NHS
- 8 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 9 Go Again complete sponsored walk from Ashton Gate to Optima
- 10 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
On the hour, Seasiders captain Danny Wring unleashed a powerful shot, which stung Jones' fingers and five minutes later another similar shot from Wring went just the wrong side of the post. A minute later it was 2-0 as Matthew Walsh fired a free-kick from the edge of the box past the wall and low into the corner of the net.
On 72 minutes Josh Brigham had a header from a Danny Wring corner cleared off the line, and Jamal Easter miss-kicked a loose ball with the open goal at his mercy. Three minutes later Wring dribbled past two defenders into the area where his shot was saved by Jones with his feet and the keeper's legs again got in the way minutes later to deny Craig Loxton, after a good move featuring Easter and Joey Evans.
On 80 minutes a rare Frome attack put substitute Matt Minnis through on Danny Greaves, but the Clevedon keeper was alert and blocked the danger. Two minutes later Clevedon wrapped the game up when man of the match Danny Wring put in his third long-distance shot, this time beating Jones low down to his left, and minutes later a Jamal Easter shot went just wide.
More information can be obtained from the website www.clevedontownfc.co.uk, and the next game at the Hand Stadium will be on Saturday, November 7 v Hemel Hempstead Town, kick-off 3pm.