College girls enjoy comfortable victory
- Credit: Archant
Weston College’s netball first team enjoyed a 19-9 victory over Richard Huish College from Taunton.
Weston College girls’ netball first team took an early lead at Taunton against Richard Huish, with Ashton Hixson and Charley Williams on target.
Excellent defence ensured the girls led 4-1 at the end of the first quarter. The middle quarters saw Weston stretch their lead. Impressive performances by Sophie Griffiths and Olivia Love in the centre court ensured the ball moved swiftly from defence into attack.
At the end of the third quarter, the hard-working Weston team were leading 14-7. The final quarter saw the superior fitness of the Weston pay dividends, with Maddie Follett, who commanded the centre court area, feeding perfectly-placed balls into the shooters to make the final score 19-9 to Weston.
Weston College’s football 1st XI hosted Guernsey College at the EA Stadium. The hosts started brightly and struck first in the 23rd minute with a goal from N Groom.
You may also want to watch:
On the half-hour, Guernsey won a penalty after the ball was handled in the box and equalised from the spot. Guernsey kept up the pressure and in the 43rd minute they put themselves in front after a fine shot from out wide.
Weston responded immediately with Tyler Manning lifting the ball over the top of the keeper after a wonderful cross by Lucas Elliman.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 5 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 6 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 7 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 10 Grant to provide accommodation for rough sleepers in North Somerset
In the second half, Weston some fine link-up play saw Elliman cross for Archie Ferris to put Weston back into the lead. Soon after, Manning scored to make it 4-2 and within two minutes of the restart, he completed his hat-trick.
Groom scored his second in the 68th minute and Manning netted his fourth of the game, before Elliman was the final scorer in this thrilling game to make the final score 8-2.
The college’s rugby 1st XV took on Exeter College in a physical, fiery affair.
This was a great example of the standard of college rugby in the region, with both sides playing structured multi-phase rugby.
Weston unfortunately came out 26-19 losers, but gave Exeter a real scare and placed them under immense pressure for the majority of the game.
This again shows just how much the academy team have improved and with the majority of that side being first year students, this makes for some exciting times ahead.
Man of the match on his first start for the first XV went to Dan Swaby.