Colts close to keeping Cup

Weston Colts 29 pts Wiveliscombe Colts 12 pts

Weston Colts 29 pts

Wiveliscombe Colts 12 pts

WESTON Colts are one step away from retaining the Somerset Cup for the sixth successive time after this hard earned victory over a pacey Wiveliscombe side in the semi-final at Taunton.

After their superb performance in the quarter-final, it was always going to be a tough ask to repeat the quality of rugby produced on that occasion.

You may also want to watch:

Weston started well and a quick tap penalty by Ollie Trott fed James Mackay who put Paul Cullum over for the opening score, Mackay converting. Weston increased their lead when a sublime pass by Mackay put Josh Roberts, who had come over from the blind side on a set move and gassed the opposition defence to put Weston 12 points to the good.

Wiveliscombe reduced the deficit when they went through a gap to go over for a converted try to cut the lead to five points. The rest of the first half was a dour affair with both sides being penalised far too many times for a good game to ensue.

Most Read

The second half began with a purple patch by Weston which early on nearly produced a try from a push over, however the referee was unsighted. A Mackay penalty increased the lead and then he produced a moment of magic with a great run which ended by throwing a 20-metre cut-out pass to Jonno Rees who crossed for a fine try. Mackay again adding the extras as he did to Weston's last try which again began with a quick tap by Trott. He released Mackay who threw a great dummy before outpacing the Wivvy defence to score under the posts.

Wivvy scored a deserved consolation near the end, but Weston's 15-minute spell put paid to any thoughts other than victory.

Weston's scrum was solid throughout as was the line-out with Tom Walker again monopolising possession from Kieran Clarke's excellent throwing in. With Jed Dillon well supported by Eddy Saunders and Stu Warren, Weston had a lot of the ball and though both defences were of the highest order it was the talented Mackay who provided the winning touches to put the result beyond any doubt.

Burnham 2nds 10 pts

Weston Athletic 32 pts

GRAHAM Hill's Athletic continued their successful season with their 15th victory in this friendly at Stoddens Road.

Tries by Charlie Larkin, David Steele and Mark White, who converted his own score, gave Weston a 17-point advantage, but Burnham reduced the arrears with two superb tries by Paul Piper.

Further tries before the break by Eddie Saunders and a 50-metre charge by Andrew Glen took the visitors to 27-10, but the second half produced only one further score, a 75th-minute try by American visitor Chris Antionello.

FORMER Weston skipper Paul Tincknell will be celebrating his 50th birthday with a special match at the Recreation Ground on Sunday when his Invitation XV takes on a President's XV.

Educated at Walliscote School, Weston-born Tincknell played in the club's first-ever junior match below Colt level at Under-14s. He progressed through the age groups to the Colts, eventually making his 1st XV debut against Oxford as an 18-year-old fly-half.

Nine years later, in 1986, he started a three-year stint as club captain, and made the last of his 405 senior appearances in 1997 against Tabard.

During that time he amassed 1836 first team points from 17 tries, 292 conversions, 322 penalties and an incredible 73 drop goals.

He also made 168 appearances for United and 33 for Athletic, scoring 669 points, bringing his overall total to 2505.

Many of Tincknell's former team-mates will be taking part in the match which kicks off at 2pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter