Colts reach national final

Ivybridge Colts 24 pts Hornets Colts 31 pts - HORNETS have progressed to the final of the National Colts Cup after their win at Ivybridge.

Ivybridge Colts 24 pts

Hornets 31 pts

HORNETS have progressed to the final of the National Colts Cup after their win at Ivybridge.

Both sides entered the match with impressive records. Ivybridge were unbeaten in over two and a half years and were already in the Devon Colts final. Hornets were unbeaten so far this season, having won the Bristol Combination League and reached the Somerset Cup final.

You may also want to watch:

Hornets were victims of the 'volanic ash' problem, with two players stranded abroad and were also missing one of their front row. Ivybridge were missing a couple of players due to calls from their first team, however there still remained a lot of talent on the pitch.

From the start, Ivybridge caused problems with a good kicking game and superb line- out, and Hornets caused problems with ball in hand. Ivybridge were unlucky to lose a winger after four minutes with a leg injury, while Hornets' Harry Simmons injured his shoulder in the same clash, which eventually resulted in him going off after 20 minutes. Hornets also lost their 8 at this time to a sin binning.

Most Read

After 25 minutes Hornets had been pressing, but a long clearance kick from Ivybridge was allowed to bounce by Hornets defenders, and the Ivybridge winger scored a converted try. Two minutes later Hornets were penalised for a line-out offence and Ivybridge added a penalty.

Hornets had the final say of the half, when good interplay between backs and forwards led to Kade Dillon going over and Reece Watson making it 10-7.

Early in the second half Ivybridge extended their lead when Hornets wasted a good position and Ivybridge turned the ball over and from a line-out, scored a converted try. Three minutes later Hornets replied through Watson with a penalty.

Ivybridge had a line-out just outside the Hornets 22 and quick hands led to a converted try under the posts.

Hornets replied through a superb try from Matt Cornish with assistance from Jamie McGrory and Watson added the extras. Hornets' forward pressure caused Ivybridge to concede a penalty, Cornish put the ball in the corner, Ollie Sheppard set up a ruck. The ball was moved wide, Ali O'Connor made a break and fed Tom Bradley who scored under the posts. Watson tied the scores with the conversion.

Hornets kept pressing and from a scrum 20 metres out Sheppard fed Sean Disney, but an Ivybridge player was adjudged to have deliberately knocked-on. From the penalty Bradley hit the gap at pace and offload to O'Connor who dived over for a try. Watson completed a perfect day with the boot.

For Hornets, Nettleton and Rich Cooksley gave improved performances. Mention for Sheppard who stepped up from the back row to loose head and Dillon playing his first ever full game at hooker. Also Reece Watson, whose immaculate kicking meant that Hornets always stayed in touch.

The Winsdsor Castle Bar and Restaurant man of the match was Matt Cornish.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter