Comfortable passage for Weston
Somerset Cup holder Weston had an easy passage into the next round.
BRISTOL MANOR FARM 0
HOLDERS Weston had an easy passage into the next round of this season’s Somerset Premier Cup as they easily overcame a gallant Manor Farm side, who kept trying right to the end.
Although Weston were in control right from the star, poor finishing prevented them from scoring until the 44th minute when Matt Huxley beat keeper Lee Ballard from close range.
You may also want to watch:
However, Weston struck again a minute later when Jamie Price’s corner was not cleared and Dayle Grubb scored.
The home side mounted several promising attacks, but they failed to break down Weston’s defence, their best chance falling to Ben Murray who forced a full-length save from Lloyd Irish.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 3 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 4 Appeal to find missing teenager Ruben
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 8 Somerset has best Covid vaccine rate for both doses
- 9 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
Substitute Marcus Duharty, on his first appearance of the season, used his pace to get behind the defence and provide a low cross for Grubb to turn in for his second.
Minutes from the end, Price added the fourth after substitute Chris Young’s effort was beaten out by Ballard.
Goals: Weston, Huxley (44), Grubb (45, 75), Price (85).
Shots on target: Manor Farm 1, Weston 6.
Shots off target: Manor Farm 4, Weston 8.
Corners: Manor Farm 6, Weston 8.
Offsides: Manor Farm 4, Weston 1.
Free kicks conceded: Manor Farm 8, Weston 7.
Referee: David Ricketts. Good game. Used his whistle sparingly.
Weston squad: Irish, Price, Slocombe, Martin, Diallo, Ingram (Young 65), Cleverley, Trowbridge (Grubb 19), Huxley, Pepperell (Duharty 73).