Comfortable victory for Avon skiers
- Credit: Archant
AVON Ski Club finished off the South West of England’s winter race league in style.
AVON Ski Club finished off the South West of England’s winter race league in style at the slope in Exeter.
The club sent two teams to the dual slalom contest, where racers compete side by side, in both a team format and individually in age groups. The team format consists of four skiers, one of whom has to be female and one who has to be under 12.
Avon’s A team of Callum Black, Maddy Brown, Christian Plaster and Lewis Williams cruised through the group stages and comfortably won the semi-final and came up against Exeter in the final. The final was best of three races and the Avon team won all three races.
As well as the team competition, there was also an individual competition run in age groups. In the over-16s age group, after the round robin races, Christian Plaster beat Maddy Brown in the semi-final and then lost to an Exeter skier in a closely-run final.
You may also want to watch:
Lewis Williams was unfortunate in the under-16s, having generously agreed to a re-run as he lost in the semi-final.
In the under-12s, Avon’s Callum Black won every head-to-head, and in the final beat Avon’s Max Schubert 2-0.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
Having come into this round leading the winter race league, the overall win and points from the individual events assured Avon Ski Club of a comfortable overall win.
The B team of Sebastian Comelio, Mitchell Holiday, Max Schubert and Leo Sydenham raced well enough to get into the semi-finals, but although three of the team were under-12, not having a female member meant that they were excluded from the race.
The attention now moves on to the Summer Race League held once a month at the slope in Gloucester, where Avon will be looking to better their third place from last year.
Regular training is held at the Mendip Snowsports Centre in Churchill every Tuesday from 6-8pm and is open to anyone that can parallel turn. For more information, please contact email@example.com