Comfortable victory for Avon skiers
- Credit: Archant
AVON Ski Club finished off the South West of England’s winter race league in style.
AVON Ski Club finished off the South West of England’s winter race league in style at the slope in Exeter.
The club sent two teams to the dual slalom contest, where racers compete side by side, in both a team format and individually in age groups. The team format consists of four skiers, one of whom has to be female and one who has to be under 12.
Avon’s A team of Callum Black, Maddy Brown, Christian Plaster and Lewis Williams cruised through the group stages and comfortably won the semi-final and came up against Exeter in the final. The final was best of three races and the Avon team won all three races.
As well as the team competition, there was also an individual competition run in age groups. In the over-16s age group, after the round robin races, Christian Plaster beat Maddy Brown in the semi-final and then lost to an Exeter skier in a closely-run final.
You may also want to watch:
Lewis Williams was unfortunate in the under-16s, having generously agreed to a re-run as he lost in the semi-final.
In the under-12s, Avon’s Callum Black won every head-to-head, and in the final beat Avon’s Max Schubert 2-0.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 4 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 5 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 6 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 7 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 8 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 9 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
- 10 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
Having come into this round leading the winter race league, the overall win and points from the individual events assured Avon Ski Club of a comfortable overall win.
The B team of Sebastian Comelio, Mitchell Holiday, Max Schubert and Leo Sydenham raced well enough to get into the semi-finals, but although three of the team were under-12, not having a female member meant that they were excluded from the race.
The attention now moves on to the Summer Race League held once a month at the slope in Gloucester, where Avon will be looking to better their third place from last year.
Regular training is held at the Mendip Snowsports Centre in Churchill every Tuesday from 6-8pm and is open to anyone that can parallel turn. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org