Comfortable win for Town

Un 14 Kewstokev Crusanders

Un 14 Kewstokev Crusanders - Credit: Archant

Weston Town registered a comfortable victory over Burnham Athletic.

WESTON Town Under-15s began the New Year with a comfortable away win against Burnham Athletic.

Having not played for a month, Weston were eager to get going and they took an early lead when Dan Berry was put clear to finish comfortably. Weston put together lots of good passing moves and constantly had Burnham in retreat.

The second goal arrived just before half-time when Jack Berry powered in a header at the far post from a corner.

Weston snubbed out any chance of a Burnham comeback in the second half by scoring straight from kick-off. Good passing through midfield by Jamie Ramplin and Jake Marshman allowed Christian Bell to fire at goal and with the help of a slight deflection put Weston three up.

You may also want to watch:

Hockey then went on to score his second from a corner, before Berry wrapped up the scoring late on. The Cove Restaurant man of the match was awarded to Sam Fletcher.

ST JOHNS Under-15s made a slow start in their first game back after the festive period.

Most Read

Nailsea dominated the play and took the lead after 13 minute, a lead they held until half-time.

As the game restarted, St Johns appeared to be a different side. There was good link-up play between Jordan Hodge and Jake Willcox and after a Saints attack, the Nailsea goalkeeper gifted Khalil Al-Hoori the equaliser.

The game continued as a close contest as either team could have taken the lead on several occasions. Good play saw Jake Wilcox put his team 2-1 up with 10 minutes left.

Nailsea look set to earn a draw until the loss of possession proved costly as Jordan Hodge scored Saints’ third to put the game to bed.

Khalil Al-Hoori was voted Specsavers man of the match.

WESTON Crusaders Under-13s produced a lacklustre performance against a Nailsea side that deserved more.

Nailsea began the brightest as Crusaders struggled to find any rhythm. The back five of Burgess, Bonner, Buxton, Denyer and Rac were steady, Ellis-Barker, Thomas-Barker, Morteo and Redding toiled, but failed to create chances. Havard and Jones up front were rarely a threat.

Nailsea took a deserved lead and controlled the game. Thomas came on up front and scored to make the score 1-1 at half-time.

Changes were made at the break, with Cox, Santoro and Ford coming on. Dividends paid immediately as Denyer went through on goal to score, but Nailsea equalised two minutes later.

Thomas-Barker scored from a free kick to restore Crusaders’ lead, but Nailsea scored two goals, one a penalty, to lead 4-3 going into the last few minutes.

Thomas scored twice in the last three minutes to complete his hat-trick and give Crusaders an uncomfortable 5-4 victory.

Weston Crusaders man of the match went to Piers Rac and Ryan Thomas.

The Under-11s travelled to Nailsea and started brightly with Joel, Ethan and Ben combining well, with Charlie and Snedds working hard in the middle.

Nailsea hit the bar twice as Crusaders rode their luck, but despite attacking intent from both sides, the first-half ended goalless.

Nailsea struck in the second half as the ball looped over a helpless Harry in goal. A thunderbolt shot from Tom looked to have salvaged a draw and Lewis and Logan came close late on, before a defensive lapse late on saw Nailsea pinch a 2-1 win in the last minute.

BURNHAM Under-15 games against Nailsea are normally competitive affairs and this encounter was no exception after this 2-2 result.

Burnham started the better, but the back four of Hughes, Durrant, Mcdermott and Podbury had to be on their toes against a lively Nailsea attack. Burnham took the lead after a corner by Harding saw Hughes make no mistake from a short distance out.

After the goal, Nailsea came on strongly and Burnham lost a bit of their shape. It was no surprise that Nailsea were able to score two quick goals to go in to half-time at 2-1 up.

Burnham started the second half well and scored a well-deserved equaliser with a clever finish by Kidner.

United would like to thank Barrington and Sons, solicitors, for the sponsorship of their new kit. Joint men of the match were Kyle Durrant and Charlie Hughes.

Burnham United Under-14s pictured in their new kit, courtesy of manager Jon Spence, of Burnham Plastering.

WORLE Under-14s got off to a great start in their first game of the New Year with a 7-3 win away to Yatton.

Yatton opened the scoring with a neat header from an unchallenged corner. Worle captain Elliman replied almost immediately with a neat chip over the keeper and Alex Young made it 2-1 from Lucas’ pass.

Yatton drew level with a chip over the Worle keeper. Changes were made to the Worle team to shore up the defence, which saw Worle score three more goals before the break, one from an Elliman free kick, a Ben Major volley and an individual effort from Tom Stephens.

At the start of the second half, Walkley pulled off a great save to keep the score at 5-2. Yatton pulled a goal back from a tap-in, but Worle increased their lead with Stephens adding his second and Connor Chamberlain completed the scoring with his first and Worle’s seventh.

Trowbridge Plumbing and Heating man of the match went to Lucas Elliman.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter