Comprehensive victory for Wrington
Wrington recorded a convincing over Mells to continue their good start to the season.
WRINGTON 1st XI continued their good start to the season with a comprehensive win over newly promoted Mells.
After the experiment of opening the innings with Jake Buckley failed after two balls, an all-round batting display led by Mike Clements (89) produced a competitive total of 189.
Mells restricted the scoring early on with Rich Rogers (2-25) and Liam Rodgers (1-8 off eight overs) putting Wrington under pressure. However, the innings built momentum with good contributions from all the middle order, ending in a flourish with a huge six by Mark Humphries.
The Mells target soon became even more difficult as their captain, Mike Ford, was run out in the first over by a direct hit from Matt Beck, who had a superb game, contributing 17 with the bat and 4-13 with the ball.
You may also want to watch:
Wrington’s opening bowling of Buckley and Fowkes continues to impress and it was Buckley who claimed two early wickets to reduce Mells to 26-3. Although wicketless, Fowkes conceded only 17 runs in eight overs.
It was always a tough ask after such a start and with Humphries again among the wickets, Beck rounded off the innings on 94 to cap a fine individual performance.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 4 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 5 Restaurant donates meals to key workers, teachers and pupils
- 6 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 7 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 8 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 9 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 10 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
For the third week running, Wrington clean bowled a batsman off a no-ball, which eventually could prove costly. However, with the second team also winning handsomely against Nailsea 3rds, the season is definitely warming up nicely.