Congresbury progress in the Somerset County Cup

Congresbury defeated Cheddar Reserves to progress to the next round of the Somerset County Cup.

Cheddar Res 2

Congresbury 3

CONGRESBURY did just enough to progress to the next round of the Somerset County Cup.

They started slowly and Cheddar were enjoying most of the possession without troubling defenders Justin Searle, Ash Flavell, Rich Carnall and Alex Read.

You may also want to watch:

Midway through the half keeper Reece Sullivan was forced to make an excellent save to keep the scores level.

It was slightly against the run of play when Congresbury took the lead, the goal coming when Flavell’s free kick found Rob Harraway and he gave the keeper no chance with a stunning volley.

Most Read

It did not take long for Cheddar to equalise when a soft header following a free-kick found the net to make the half-time score 1-1.

Congresbury started the second half much the better side with Joe Whittaker, Dave Blakely and Seb Williams starting to control the midfield. Harraway nearly gave Congresbury the lead when his hit the post.

Moments later, a superb pass from Whittaker saw Harraway win the race to the ball and beat the keeper to make the score 1-2. Cheddar owed their equaliser to slack defending and a deflection.

With only minutes to go, Flavell’s free kick was only partially cleared and Ross Stockhall netted to make the final score 2-3.

Williams Roofing player of the match was Joe Whittaker.


Winscombe 14

Burnham Res 0

FREE-SCORING Winscombe thrashed a sorry Burnham Reserve side 14-0 at the Recreation Ground.

They have now scored 49 goals in eight matches this season. The home side were 6-0 up after only 26 minutes, with goals from Rob Winter (2), Jamie Hutchinson (2), Matt Heal and a penalty from Mike Flint.

Winter completed his hat-trick to make it 7-0 at the break. The home keeper and defenders Page, Heal, Hosey, Massey and Horwood were rarely troubled, giving Chambers, Hughes, Stoves and Flint time to cause havoc.

It was one-way traffic after the break as Winter, Hutchinson and Flint all went on to score four goals each.

Congratulations go to 35-year-old Andy Potter, who made his first team debut. Man of the match went to the whole squad.

Combe St Nicholas 3

Churchill Club 70 0

CHURCHILL showed more of their recent improvement, but they were already 3-0 down after 20 minutes as they gifted their hosts an unassailable lead.

After just a few minutes, a lofted cross seemed to have been dealt with by keeper Chris James, but he inexplicably dropped the ball and the ball was lashed home from close range.

Soon after it was two as again a defensive mix-up led to an unchallenged header from close range.

To compound the pain, Combe went three up on 15 minutes as a challenge on James Goodland went unpunished and the Combe attacker waltzed through unchallenged to leave James with no chance.

Thereafter it was a fairly even game with Churchill and their hosts both creating chances, but neither able to add, mainly due to top quality defending with George Forbes having a great debut at the back, alongside the strong defence of Tee Boon, Nelson and Wayne Croucher.

The second half saw the midfield of Churchill admirably led by Goodland and Paul Dolbear get on top, but the attack of Duncan and Fozzard found chances hard to come by. Goodland came closest to scoring with a fantastic 40-yard effort which the keeper saved well.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus