Convincing victory for Burnham’s Avalon side
A convincing victory by Burnham & Berrow Golf Club’s Avalon B team should guarantee at least second place in the league.
The Burnham & Berrow Avalon League B team celebrated a convincing 4-1 away win at the Isle of Wedmore Golf Club, which should guarantee at least a second place finish in the league.
Leading the way with a 7&6 win, team captains Martin Dunton and Martyn Milverton dedicated the team victory to former club and Avalon League captain Martin Wilkins, who is recovering after major surgery.
The second game went to Wedmore by 5&4, before captain-elect Pete Amos and Kevin Phillips put the visitors in front once again with a 3&2 win. Steve Seymour and debutant Billy Marshfield had a convincing 6&4 victory in the fourth match.
A tight game in the last match which went to the last putt on the last green with Tim Osborne holing a three footer at the last to give him and his playing partner Jon Marshfield a one-hole victory over their hosts.
You may also want to watch:
Former captain and chairman Tony Mason hit form by winning the Division 1 Stableford with 39 points. Playing off an eight handicap, Tony made it to the turn with 19 points. Following a double bogey at the 12th, Tony bounced back with three birdies in the next four holes, helping him to score 20 points on the back nine.
Bryn Jones scored the highest points total of the day with 40 to give him a three-point margin of victory in Division 2. Kevin Stacey won the Channel Stableford with 33 points, while Geoff French won the seniors’ Stableford in tough windy conditions with 34.
- 1 Businesses refused to reopen after lockdown due to staff safety fears in Weston town centre
- 2 Weston family who had home transformed featured on DIY SOS
- 3 Asymptomatic coronavirus testing pilot starts with college students from next week
- 4 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 5 Winter Gardens set to open newly refurbished eatery
- 6 Girl, 11, suffers serious injuries after collision with car
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Yatton artist releases charity single with Hamilton star
- 9 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 10 Sharon cooks thousands of meals throughout coronavirus lockdown – despite breaking her arm while fundraising
Scores – Stableford – Division 1: T Mason 39 pts; P Yensen 38; G French 38; P Lismore 37; G Edge 37. Division 2: B Jones 40; S Cartwright 37; J Lawrence 36; S Seymour 35; C Perry 35.
Channel Stableford: K Stacey 33 pts; J Read 32; D Stacey 32.
Seniors’ Stableford: G French 34 pts; I Moreton 32; M Hodgkinson 30.