County experience for Craig
Avenue Tennis Club coach Craig Phillips, from Brean, represented the Somerset men’s team during county week at Felixstowe Tennis Club.
AVENUE Tennis Club coach Craig Phillips, from Brean, represented the Somerset men’s team during county week at Felixstowe Tennis Club.
Craig competed against Cornwall, Dorset, Berkshire, Sussex and Nottinghamshire and played with James Pankhurst and Anthony Hudson, managing to win more than half of their doubles matches.
Craig competed against some of the top players in the UK and also against players who have held world rankings in the last two years. Craig said the standard of competition was very high and although Somerset went down a division, they competed well in all their matches losing by the slim margins of five rubbers to four.
Other local players in the team were Toby Mitchell from Mark, Richard Stock from Burnham (who coaches at Taunton), Anthony Hudson/Sam Edwards (Wells), Alistair Felthon (Street), James Deem (Ilminster) and James Pankhurst (Yeovil).
You may also want to watch:
Places are still available for the summer holiday tennis club which runs as follows – August 6-10 and August 28-31. Parents can book from one to nine days of tennis coaching through fun games and drills, which run from 9am-4pm daily.
Details and forms are available on the website www.avenuetennis.com
- 1 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 2 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 3 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 4 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 5 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 6 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 7 Mother launches fundraising challenge as she battles cancer
- 8 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 9 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 10 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
The club’s annual LTA Grade 3 adult and junior open tournaments will run from August 15-19 and 20-25 respectively.