Creditable performance by the ladies
- Credit: Archant
Cheddar Ladies gave a creditable performance in only their second ever game, against a talented Wedmore side.
Wedmore Under-16s 6
Cheddar Ladies 1
CHEDDAR Ladies played their second ever game and gave a creditable performance against a youthful, but talented Wedmore side.
The game was refereed excellently by Gareth Waterfield, the Wedmore manager, who did a great job all round.
You may also want to watch:
Cheddar started positively and took a deserved lead when Jodie Ellis hit a long-range shot home that gave Emily Grant no chance in the Wedmore goal, followed by chances for the front line of Grace Low, Shannon Souttar-Bell and Holly Hael.
However, the hosts equalised with their own long-range shot, giving Cheddar’s superb keeper Lindsey Rogers, no chance.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 3 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 4 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 10 'Bright future' for Weston high street
The game changed in the last minute of the half as Wedmore forced two errors from Cheddar that were punished on both occasions, somewhat harshly on the strong defiance of Jo White, Hannah Lovell (outfield player of the match), Jo Hill and Lucy Halford.
The second half saw Cheddar punished by the clinical hosts and despite creating several chances themselves they conceded three more goals late on as they tired.
There was great midfield work by Ellis, alongside the awesome pairing of Bella Jonas and Fiona Bellingham, all of which promises well for the future of the team. Maisie Blair also deserves a special mention.
Thanks also go to assistant manager Simon Thomas, for his efforts and as a linesman on the day.
Cheddar team: Linzi Rogers, Jo White, Hannah Lovell, Jo Hill, Lucy Halford, Jodie Ellis, Bella Jonas, Fiona Bellingham, Grace Low, Shannon Souttar-Bell, Holly Hael Sub: Maisie Bair.