Girls save cat from jaws of deathtrap
PUBLISHED: 10:59 12 January 2006 | UPDATED: 08:58 24 May 2010
A CAT left to die in agony after getting caught in a vicious" illegal fox trap was saved when children found her in the grounds of a school. Two schoolgirls at Seven Kings High School, Ley Street, Ilford, spotted the emaciated mog on the first morning ba
A CAT left to die in agony after getting caught in a "vicious" illegal fox trap was saved when children found her in the grounds of a school.Two schoolgirls at Seven Kings High School, Ley Street, Ilford, spotted the emaciated mog on the first morning back after the Christmas holidays.The tortoiseshell, named Rosie by animal nurses, had her jaw clamped in a heavy metal trap, presumably designed to catch one of the urban foxes that are a common sight in the area.Shocked school staff fear she could have spent days in agonising pain from eye and head injuries, unable to eat or drink, after triggering the trap over the holiday period.A spokesman said: "She had been lying there for some time. We imagine she must have been caught in one of the gardens backing on to the school and managed to jump over a wall on to our land - of course, we don't have any traps on school property."It was left to caretaker Dave Starkey, 58, to corner the miserable animal and throw a blanket over her."She was so weak, hungry and dehydrated by that time that I don't think she would have lasted more than a couple of days," said Mr Starkey."It was a vicious, vicious trap - if a kid had put its hand in there, it would have taken the hand off, no question."I wouldn't like to say what I think of the person who put it down. Perhaps a fox was digging up their garden. We get a lot of foxes near the school and they are harmless. We have no problem with them."Mr Starkey managed to prise open the trap before rushing Rosie to Ilford People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) vet James Creasey, who treated her before taking her to the charity's centre in Romford to recuperate.Mr Creasey said: "The PDSA is urging pet owners to be watchful and always report any such cases to the police, the press and local vets. Traps and snares are inhumane and they are indiscriminate. Any animal can become trapped in them."Head nurse Ann Crockett, who is supervising Rosie's recovery, said: "I have never seen a cat in a trap before and I have been nursing for 23 years."Rosie is lovely and very friendly. She is getting better and her wounds are healing.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box below for details.