Seasiders closing the gap on league leaders

PUBLISHED: 13:27 02 July 2007 | UPDATED: 11:14 24 May 2010

WESTON returned to winning ways in the league with a three-wicket victory over current relegation favourites Thornbury

WESTON returned to winning ways in the league with a three-wicket victory over current relegation favourites Thornbury. The 1st XI arrived at Thornbury with the news that heavy rain had left a damp patch on a good length. Thankfully, despite a brief flurry of rain at 11am, the game got under way on time and no overs were lost. Having won the toss, Gary Morgan decided to make the most of the weather conditions and the improving forecast and elected to bowl first.Thornbury openers Levitt and Stovold got off to a flying start and it took until the 13th over, when Morgan combined with Andy Fear and Robin d'Souza, to restrict the runs and remove Levitt and his replacement Cashell to leave the home side at 52 for 2.This did not dent Stovold amassing runs or Dent matching him run for run though they did not bank on Mike Munday entering the fray and returning figures of 16-1-57-6. Three times in combination with Edd Brown behind the stumps did Munday take wickets and, while he bowled in tandem with Matt Kearsey, runs were kept to a minimum and wickets fell at regular intervals.With five overs left to go Thornbury were 166 for 6 and Gloucestershire and Zimbabwe player Anthony Ireland let loose to hit 40 from 30 balls, aided by two dropped catches. Instead of chasing 180 Weston were left chasing 208 as Brown caught Ireland off Luke Parfitt with just one ball left of the innings.Weston's reply did not get off to the best start, as within 10 overs the prolific d'Souza and Fear were back in the changing rooms. However, they were more than up with the run rate and Morgan (62) and John Williams (69) began to build an awesome partnership as they matched each other virtually run for run.With 15 overs to go Weston were in the driving seat, but all too soon the run chase almost came to a grinding halt as Williams and Morgan departed in consecutive overs, meaning the two new batsmen at the crease needed 39 from 15 overs.For a few overs things stuttered, but slowly and sensibly Jason Neave and Harold Booth pushed around the singles, dispatched the bad balls to the boundary and crept closer and closer to the finishing line. The loss of Neave and Kearsey left things rather tense, but without concern Booth thumped the ball between mid-on and mid-wicket to win the game with two overs to spare. The excellent victory gave Weston 30 points and took them within grasping distance of top placed Frocester.Brunel Ford man of the match was shared between Mike Munday for his six wickets, Gary Morgan and John Williams whose batting set up Weston for the victory.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury