Cricket: Somerset secure place in Lord's final

PUBLISHED: 18:46 12 May 2019 | UPDATED: 18:46 12 May 2019

Peter Trego in batting action for Somerset (pic Nick Wood/TGS Photo)

Peter Trego in batting action for Somerset (pic Nick Wood/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Somerset reached the final of the Royal London One-Day Cup after defeating Nottinghamshire by 115 runs at Trent Bridge.

The visitors followed up their crushing victory over Worcestershire 48 hours earlier, delivering a strong, all-round performance to go through to their first Lord's final since 2011.

Peter Trego top-scored with 73 in the visitors' 337 all out after being asked to bat first.

Azhar Ali scored 72 and Tom Banton hit a brisk 59, with Jake Ball taking four for 62 for the home side.

Nottinghamshire lost wickets at regular intervals and were rarely in contention once Alex Hales had departed for 54.

Ben Slater made 58 but the bowlers kept a tight rein on proceedings, with Roelof Van Der Merwe taking three for 29.

There were still 11.4 overs remaining when the end came, with Nottinghamshire being dismissed for only 222.

In pursuit of 338, Joe Clarke fell early in the chase, picking out short midwicket off Craig Overton.

Nottinghamshire got their reply back on an even keel, thanks to a second-wicket stand of 72 between Hales and Slater.

Slater made his runs from 60 balls but was followed straight back to the pavilion by Ben Duckett, who made only a single.

Hales cleared the ropes on his way to a 42-ball half-century but then nicked behind, heralding the start of a middle-order collapse which left the chase in disarray at 156 for six.

Steven Mullaney made 29 and Luke Fletcher plundered an aggressive 43 but when he hit Lewis Gregory into the hands of long-off the celebrations could begin for Somerset.

Earlier, the Somerset openers added 93 together, with Banton applying early pressure towards the home attack.

The 20-year old took the fight to Matt Carter in the 10th over, hitting the off-spinner for three sixes as the first powerplay ended with 69 on the board.

Harry Gurney, playing his first domestic match of the summer after returning from a stint in the Indian Premier League, made the initial breakthrough, having Banton caught behind.

Trego survived difficult chances in the deep when on 24 and 45, reaching his 50 from 48 balls, but then lost two partners in the same Ball over.

Azhar played an uncharacteristically adventurous shot and lost his middle stump after making 72 from 71 balls, then James Hildreth was victim of a stunning reflex catch by the bowler.

Tom Abell was denied a certain boundary when he swept the ball viciously into the body of square-leg umpire Mike Burns but had only made 18 when nicking Fletcher behind.

When George Bartlett followed in the 36th over for nought, giving Mullaney his 100th List A wicket, the total was 228 for five.

Trego's fine innings was ended by the brilliance of Mullaney, throwing down the stumps with a direct hit, but the same player then spilled Gregory at mid-off.

For the second time in the innings Ball picked up two wickets in the same over, having Gregory and Van Der Merwe both caught in the deep.

Jamie and Craig Overton applied some late order muscle, with a stand of 47 from just 30 balls, before the innings was closed out with two run-outs.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists