Crusader book a semi-final place

Crusader Under-12s defeat Kewstoke to book a place in the semi-final of the cup.

WESTON Crusaders Under-12s eased past local rivals Kewstoke to book a semi-final spot in the cup competition.

Crusaders were rewarded with an early goal by Thomas, but against the run of play Kewstoke equalised. Straight from the kick off, Thomas was fouled and Havard put away the penalty to make the score 2-1.

Shipway, Santoro, Redding and Ellis-Barker dominated the midfield and the back four of Bonner, Rac, Buxton and Denyer had little to deal with, Burgess in goal, even less. Thomas scored two more before half-time to complete his hat-trick making it 4-1.

After the break, Cox and Morteo came into midfield and Williams into his normal role at centre back. Crusaders increased their score when Havard scored from a free kick.

You may also want to watch:

A simple tap-in by Havard after some excellent work by Cox allowed him to complete his hat-trick, with Thomas adding another to make the final score 7-1.

Goalkeeper Filby made a short appearance after coming back from his second injury of the season and looked assured.

Most Read

Crusaders man of the match was Jordon Bonner.

The Under-11s entertained Clevedon United Youth in the quarter-finals of the cup and went a goal up within 10 minutes with Daniel Bugg scoring from a corner. More goals from Samuel Stocker and Jaylan Bacon made the score at half-time 3-0.

The second half saw Clevedon pull a goal back, but Crusaders went on to win 4-1 with a great finish from Matthew Hayden.

WORLE Under-13s faced Isle of Wedmore for the third time this season and won 6-1.

Tom Stephens opened the scoring with a neat finish and then Thomas Starr and Lucas Elliman to set up Stephens for the second in an excellent move. Worle added a third before the break from Alex Young.

JT opened his account in the second half with a neat lob over the keeper and scored again as Worle took a 5-0 lead.

Wedmore kept pressing and a great finish saw them get one back before Alex Young completed the victory with a fine half volley into the roof of the net.

Trowbridge Plumbing Heating man of the match went to Mitch Trego.

KEWSTOKE Under-14s progressed to the quarter-finals of the Lewin Cup away to Frome Collegians.

Kewstoke took the lead when Harding set up Eardley to beat the keeper. Frome applied pressure on Kewstoke, but found the defence hard to break down with Flynn, Richardson, Maher and Haskayne doing well to shield Max Burford’s goal, but Frome equalised with the last kick of the half.

Frome took the lead towards the end of the game and looked to be going through until Haskayne put Eardley through to equalise.

Extra time followed and Kewstoke took the lead with a wonder goal from Haskayne, as Kewstoke held out for an impressive away victory.

Kewstoke Athletic Under-11s continued their good form with a 4-0 win over Gordano Valley Giants.

Kewstoke started brightly with Jake Dunn, Szymon Swiercrwna and Tim Page dictating the game from midfield. Sam Ford opened the scoring with a composed finish and followed up with a second just before half-time.

The second half saw much of the same, with Page breaking up any Gordano counter attacks. Kewstoke were rewarded for their play with a well-taken goal from Swiercrwna and Ford completed his hat-trick with Kewstoke’s fourth.

There were strong performances from full-backs Ryan Hill and Carrick Flint and Dan Layden kept a deserved clean sheet and bossed his area well.

The Andy Page Web Design man of the match went to Carrick Flint.

MILTON Nomads Under-11s showed great character in their match with Kewstoke, coming back from two goals down to get a deserved draw.

Nomads started well with the midfield of Cai Williams, Matthew Ogbourne, Olly Cunningham and Dean Chrisostomou working hard, supported by the defence of Lewis Barber, Tyler Pooley, Harry Little and George Fulcher.

Kewstoke took the lead following a deflection off a Nomad player. At the start of the second half, Nomads made a couple of substitutions that saw Jack Rickwood and Charles Constable enter the fray.

Nomads upped their game with Dean hitting the post, but despite some good attacking play from Harry Beer and Lewis Milkins, found themselves two goals down.

Charlie Woodards in the Nomads goal kept them in the game with a couple of good saves and Olly Cunningham scored with five minutes to play. Three minutes later, a corner from Matthew saw Harry Little fire in the equaliser.

BANWELL Under-15s had a good 3-0 win away at Winscombe.

In the first half, Banwell played some great football with forwards Ross Buller and Jake Thomas both going close. As Banwell applied pressure, Matt Saunders hit the post and soon after opened the scoring.

Harry Walsh provided a great cross for Joe Brett to score with his head to make it 2-0. Midfield players Ben Clatworthy, Aron Staples and Mitch Collins helped Banwell keep control.

In the second half, Banwell again played well, being unlucky in hitting the bar and post four times. The defence of Ethan Johnson, Sam Bond, Joe Lawrence, Ollie Habgood and keeper Jordan Sotiris kept there third successive clean sheet.

Matt Saunders scored his second goal to cap a man of the match performance.

The Under-12s entertained Cheddar Valley Dynamos in this enthralling quarter-final cup tie at the Riverside.

Banwell broke the deadlock as Sam White set up Harrison Giles to open the scoring and they doubled the lead when Liam Smith netted before half-time.

Cheddar got back on level terms in the second half and Jimmy Edwards and Connor Burns had their work cut out in the heart of Banwell’s defence, but neither team could find the winner in normal time.

Banwell looked strong in extra time and went close to scoring when White’s effort just whistled past the post, Cheddar also had a chance to snatch the win only for captain Jimmy Edwards to make a last ditch tackle to take the game into a penalty shootout.

Banwell won the shoot-out 4-3 on penalties with Berk, Smith, White and Tucker all scoring from the spot.

Supporters’ man of the match was Jimmy Edwards and man of the match went to Sam White.

WESTON Town Under-15s visited Burnbridge and came away with a battling 1-0 win.

An even first half saw both defences on top with keeper Jordan Paton and the defence of Jason Bristow, Callum White, Josh Manaton and Jamie Harris standing firm. The best chances of the half fell to Weston, with Jake Grimes having a goal ruled out for offside and testing the Burnbridge keeper with a fine shot.

Weston took control in the second half and with time running out, Jake Phillpotts was sent clear and slotted past the keeper. Man of the match went to Andy Smith.

In an emphatic display, the Under-13s produced some wonderful attacking football to record their highest ever score, defeating Axbridge 21-2.

Goals from Joe Rout (6), Lewis Mclean (4), Oscar Portlock (4), James Fewings (3), Lewis Chappell (3) and Josh Baker saw Weston cement their position at the top of Division 2.

At the back James Bramwell, Lewis Davidson, Ashton Greening, Rory Payton and Jordan Briar gave a solid display. All credit to Axbridge who never gave up and scored two well-deserved goals. Man of the match went to Lewis Davidson.

The Under-15s took all three points against Cheddar Valley Jets to stay top of Division 3.

Cheddar made the better start, forcing several corners in the opening minutes and bringing the best out of the back four of Jason Bristow, Josh Manaton, Callum White and Jamie Harris to deny them.

Weston opened the scoring following a flowing move, allowing Sam Meikle to finish from close range. A second soon followed after good pressure with Danny Foan firing home. Cheddar fought back though and pulled a goal back just before half-time.

After the break, Weston took the game to Cheddar again with Sam Holbrook and Andy Smith working hard in midfield, allowing Jake Grimes, Foan and Jake Phillpotts to run at Cheddar.

A free kick from Manaton was deflected for an own goal before Foan added a fourth before Cheddar pulled a goal back.

Man of the match went to Jake Phillpotts.

The Under-14s produced another great squad performance to win 7-3 at Burnham.

Rico Canella was put clear to fire home and Weston looked to be cruising when Josh Adams was fouled in the box allowing Jack Hockey to double the lead from the spot.

However, Burnham pegged the visitors back with two goals.

Weston soon regained the lead through striker Dan Berry. Canella then added to his earlier strike to restore Weston’s two goal advantage and a couple of minutes later he bagged his hat-trick.

The second half saw Weston utilise their squad to great effect and soon stretched their lead when Thomas Goodey netted. Berry grabbed his second after good work from Ben Sampson and although Burnham pulled one back late on, Weston ran out comfortable winners to stretch their lead at the top of the table.

The Mercedes Benz man of the match was awarded to Rico Canella.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus