Crusaders reach their first-ever cup final

Burnbridge Wanderers.

Burnbridge Wanderers. - Credit: Archant

Weston Crusaders Under-12s reached their first-ever cup final with a 3-1 win over Hutton.

WESTON Crusaders Under-12s were relieved to see their cup semi-final at Hutton beat the weather.

Despite a heavy pitch, both teams played some excellent football. Hutton started brightly and things looked ominous when they went ahead with an excellent lob in the first five minutes.

Things settled down and the sides both started to create chances. Ethan went close before a great move saw Charlie race through to score. A quick throw from Lewis saw Ethan cross the ball for Snedds to poke home at the far post to take a deserved lead.

The second half saw Hutton pile on the pressure, but Crusaders looked dangerous on the break with Charlie and Joel going close. Another fine break saw Reece and Ethan combine well and Joel was unmarked in the box to make it 3-1.

You may also want to watch:

Harry was forced into some great saves late on and some fine tackling from Ben, Blondie, Thomas and Churchill made sure that Crusaders got through to their first cup final with a great all-round battling performance.

Man of the match sponsored by Wayne Coombes Decorating went to Ethan.

Most Read

AFTER six weeks with no football due to the Christmas break and bad weather, Weston St Johns Under-16s and Nailsea Athletic were happy to get a game in.

Saints had a bare 11 with several players out with sickness and injuries and Nailsea broke the Saints’ defence and went a goal up.

At the restart, Saints looked after the ball and Marc Frost equalised with a low shot to make it all square at half-time.

After the break, Nailsea tested Saints’ keeper Conor Callahan, who made some great saves, but Nailsea kept the pressure on and scored two more goals.

Saint responded well and dug deep. After some good play in the box, Nailsea were awarded a penalty, which was well saved by Callahan. Khalil Al Hoori scored a good goal, but his was disallowed for offside.

HAVING not played for six weeks, Uphill Castle Under-15s defeated Swiss Valley Rangers 5-0.

Uphill settled into the game well and created chances from a couple of free kicks, one going wide, one hitting the post. On the stroke of half-time, Tom Stephens laid the ball back to Nathan Bradbury to cross for James Bromley to head past the keeper.

After the break, Aaron hit a 35-yard shot on the half-volley which looped over the keeper. Connor then bagged two goals, the first after a great run. Aaron made it five with a lovely half-turn and strike from outside the area.

Thanks go to Swiss Valley for hosting the game due to Uphill’s waterlogged pitch and to referee Mitchell Collins.

Granny George man of the match went to Tom Stephens.

THE dream of the double is still alive for Hutton Under-10s, who travelled to Nailsea United in the cup without Jack Busby and Oliver Luscombe.

The team of Jack Buckingham, Jacob Dwyer, Scott Hammond-Lumber, Tommy Carter, Sid Sheppard-Sugg, Jack Harris, Lewis Sloan, Bailey Hughes and Jude Hankinson started off in formidable fashion.

Hughes won a tackle and passed to Hammond-Lumber, who slotted a ball through for Dwyer to finish in style.

The lead lasted some five minutes before Nailsea equalised with a penalty awarded to Nailsea. this was well taken score now 1-1. The score remained the same throughout and the match went into extra time.

Sheppard-Sugg battled relentlessly and the defence of Hankinson and Hughes were magnificent. Tommy Lewis and Dwyer attacked in style and Hammond-Lumber’s free kick was amazingly saved.

Penalties followed and this was the chance for Jack Buckingham to shine, saving two and when Nailsea’s final shot slammed into the crossbar, Hutton had won 4-3.

EACH Saturday morning, the Oaktree Arena, home of the Somerset Rebels, is a hive of activity as it hosts matches for its resident junior football team, Burnbridge Wanderers.

Each year, through the generosity of the Oaktree owner, Bill Hancock, Burnbridge Wanderers train and play matches at the arena free of charge, with the understanding that the fee for the pitch be donated to local charities.

This year, Terry Lock from Children’s Hospice South West and Barbara Stabbins from the National Autistic Society, were delighted to each receive a cheque for £250. The cheque was presented to them by Burnbridge Wanderers chairman Mark Berry.

Burnbridge Wanderers are a Charter Standard Club offering football for players of all abilities from six to 16. For further information contact the club at or visit

Burnbridge chairman Mark Berry, sponsor Bill Hancock, Barbara Stabbins and Terry Lock.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter