Cup final triumph for Crusaders

Weston Crusaders Under-12s won the Knockout Cup final against Yatton, coming from 2-0 to win 3-2.

WESTON Crusaders Under-12s overcame Yatton 3-2 in the Knockout Cup final.

Crusaders were dominant from the start and as early as the first minute the Yatton keeper had to save from Thomas. The midfield of Shipway, Cox, Santoro and Ellis-Barker continued to supply Havard and Thomas up front with some quality football.

Somehow Crusaders found themselves 2-0 down after 20 minutes as the back five of Rac, Bonner, Denyer, Burgess and Buxton had done little wrong.

Five minutes before the break, some excellent play between Ellis-Barker, Havard and Thomas saw Thomas slide the ball across the six yard box for Cox to score.

You may also want to watch:

Changes were made at the break, with Redding, Thomas-Barker and Morteo in midfield, Williams at the back and Filby in goal.

Straight from the restart Crusaders attacked and after two minutes Redding beat two players and hit a thunderous shot from outside the box to make the score 2-2. Crusaders started to dominate the game and after some good inter-passing Thomas gave Crusaders the lead.

Most Read

Denyer, Thomas, Morteo, Thomas-Barker, Havard and Cox all saw their goal bound efforts saved by an in-form Yatton keeper as Crusaders held on to win the cup.

Weston Crusaders men of the match went to the entire squad for an excellent squad performance.

PRIORY Vikings Under-11s started well against Cheddar with Ronnie Allen, Bradley Lucas and Nathan Langdon taking shots at goal.

Huw Pearse, Darren Williams and Will Durston were solid in defence and Joe Statham was forced to make a save. Priory took the lead when Ayden Chenoworth assisted Langdon to score. Aaron Talbot, Chenoworth, Aaron Saddler and George Aucott-Harris kept Cheddar pinned in their half, which was rewarded when Langdon scored for a second time.

In the second half, Priory were forced to work hard with Josh Edwards and James Hodkinson defending well and Langdon and Tom Howling soon testing the Cheddar keeper. Despite this, it is Cheddar who scored next.

A concerted effort by the whole team kept Priory ahead at the final whistle and they secured a well-deserved 2-1 win.

KEWSTOKE Under-14s returned to action with a hard-earned 6-1 victory over Backwell Wanderers.

Starting brightly, Kewstoke dominated the opening period, taking the lead when Maher spread a neat ball out wide to Eardley, who slotted past the keeper. Towards the end of the half, the lead was doubled when Eardley rounded the keeper and slotted into an empty net.

In the opening period of the second half, Eardley grabbed his hat-trick when he met a cross from Hunt just inside the box. Harding made it four when he volleyed home from a corner and O’Hagan pounced on a rebound to give Kewstoke an unassailable lead.

Backwell pulled one back when a long-range shot skimmed off Burford’s gloves into the net, but Kewstoke responded immediately when Hunt crossed for Eardley to claim Kewstoke’s sixth in an entertaining game.

HUTTON Under-13s played their final home league game against St Georges and won 8-2 and with two away games left, Hutton are lying third in the league.

In goal was Rhys Davies, who did well on his debut, the defence was Kyle Sampson, Marios Michael, and Joe Taylor. The midfield of Fraser Ham, Billy Miller, Jake Eggington, Morgan Bacon and Ben Grice was helped up front by Sam Smith and Eli Butt, with Tom Miller on the bench.

Hutton were fast out the blocks and the goals were scored by Snowy after a good ball from Bacon. Ham scored next and then Bacon beat three players to net before Snowy set up Bacon for a tap in.

Bacon completed his hat-trick inside, but at the other end Davies was called upon to make a good save, but Hutton conceded an own goal. Hutton brought on Miller who played well and with half-time approaching, Grice and Butt, scored goals to make the score 7-1 at half-time.

After the break, Davies came out of goal slotting well into defence and Bacon took on the gloves. Hutton fell asleep and let in St Georges to score, but with time running out a good cross from Butt found the head of Michael to score his first of the season.

Thanks to Rob Liddiard for refereeing the game well. The Grand Pier man of the match went to Marios Michael.

BANWELL Under-15s continued their unbeaten run, winning 2-1 against Burnham.

Banwell came out of the blocks quickly and soon took the lead when Dan Fowler’s excellent run and cross was tapped home by captain Joe Brett.

The midfield of Ben Clatworthy, Harry Walsh, Mike Reames and Brett were dictating the match and they were very unlucky when Ross Buller hit the post twice, also having a goal disallowed.

After the break, Banwell were again impressive, especially the defence of Ollie Habgood, Sam Bond, Joe Lawrence, Ethan Johnson and keeper Jordan Sotiris.

Bad luck again contributed to them not scoring again as the Burnham post took a battering. Lewis Cahill, Aron Staples and James Poundsberry all worked hard, but against the run of play Burnham equalised.

Two minutes from time Banwell were awarded a penalty with Johnson smashing the ball home. Man of the match was Ollie Habgood.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus