Cup win for Hornets' youngsters

HORNETS Under-13s entertained Weston in the Bristol Junior Combination Cup.

HORNETS Under-13s entertained Weston in the Bristol Junior Combination Cup. The game which was played under horrible conditions gave rise to some entertaining rugby.

The Weston team from the kick-off came close to scoring and it was only good defensive work by Hornets forwards, especially James Locker, Michael Doe, Curtis Langdon and Thomas Chenneour that prevented them scoring. After this, however, it was all Hornets, with the first two tries of the match to Thomas Davison one of which was converted by Josh Caulfield.

Try number three came after a line-out won by Hornets the ball being passed out to the threes by Mattie Cates and finished off by Gareth Brock, again unconverted. For a time the Weston youngsters defended well but with the Hornets camped in their half it was only a matter of time before they again scored, this time through Nathan Scott. The last of the first half tries again came through Thomas to make it 32 points to nil at half time.

The second half continued with Hornets dominant. Weston were being denied good ball as the excellent tackling from Curtis, Jake Powell and Jordan Lees and the strong running from Lawrence Ware, Chris Sage and Byron Marriott always ensured that Hornets had plenty of ball and stayed in control.

You may also want to watch:

The result of this dominance was that Hornets scored a further five tries in the second half, three of these to Thomas and one each to Kieran Manning and Josh who also converted three. Final score Hornets 58 points, Weston 0.

The Under-10s hosted Wells for two games in the wet. Game 1 saw Nick Lukins score two fine early tries and Harrison Wallace outpaced the visitors' defence for a third.

Most Read

Great support play from Andrew Meaghan and Jacob Manning gave Ed Mann opportunities for two well taken tries. Charlie Owens worked hard and also crossed for try number 6. Some fine cover tackling by Owen Kent, Connor Burns and Thomas Budd meant Hornets were able to control much of the game.

Wells fought back with five tries but Hornets managed to close out the game as worthy winners 30-25. There were promising debut appearances from Daniel, Ieuan, Jake M, Dan and Casper.

Hornets continued with their try scoring form in Game 2. Ed drove over for an early score and Charlie added three more; catching the opponents unaware with a quick tap and go. Jack Higgins, Tommy Beaton and Jake Sjogren put in some great tackles, as did Lewis and Liam in their first appearances for the team. Wells replied with a single score before Thomas and Connor finished off the day with two excellent tries, rewarding everyone's hard work and effort. Final score was 25-5.

The Under-11s entertained Wells on a wet day after training pre-season in perfect conditions, making difficult handling conditions.

Now playing with five forwards, it was important that Hornets stamped their authority on the game and strong scrummaging put Wells under pressure and a couple of times they won the ball against the head. Callum Tanner, Zac Carver-Cox, Louie Vernacombe, Liam Fitzpatrick and Paddy Holyday made sure Wells had to fight for possession while Bryn Solomon, Alex Francis, Harry Taylor, Blake Williams, Spencer Coe, Thomas Cocking and Jordan Humphris spun the ball well and tackled hard in midfield.

Hornets opened the try count with a great strong run by Paddy to touch down and Jordan converted. From a penalty on their own line a kick down field by Jordan resulted in a line-out which produced another for Paddy who was forced over by his teammates and Alex converted.

A good break in midfield by Bryn Solomon, supported by Spencer and Harry, gaining ground all the time, when Paddy arrived right on cue to secure his hat-trick, which Alex converted.

A few changes to the team allowed the squad to interchange, bringing Esme Bird, Freddie Dolcezza, Jack Richardson, Jack Wilson, Josh Entwhistle and Keane Williams into the action. Matthew Balcombe and Mitchell Dyson came on to make their debut for Hornets and both showed great promise and desire.

Wells started to get a grip with the conditions and managed a couple of tries, but not before some fantastic tackling in the backs by Spencer and one try-saving tackle by Freddie.

After a typical burrowing drive by Blake, with his forwards in support, the momentum carried both Blake and the ball over for a touch-down, converted by Jordan. The last score came when Jordan gathered in his own half and returned with interest, only to be held up just short and great backing-up by Blake meant he could dive over for a simple, well-worked score. Jordan converted just on full time.

Final score: Hornets 30, Wells 12.

The Under-12s started their season well, for despite the rain and cold wind the team were in good spirits to face Wells.

Right from the outset both teams looked for a weakness in the other but none was to be found, strong defence kept the ball moving up and down the pitch but away from the try lines. The weather being so wet kept the play tighter than normal and a more physical forward based play was the call of the day. Half time found both teams with no score.

The second half started and a good break saw Wells score a try and successful conversion, this invigorated Hornets rather than demoralise them, seeing a rapid try scored in response by Oliver and converted by Sam. The game speeded up yet everyone managed well to keep up the pace ,even relative newcomers to the team such as Harry, Ed and Conner showed what talent they could bring to Hornets. The final score was Hornets 21, Wells 19.

WESTON Under-10s played hosts to North Petherton on a damp Rec.

In the first game, Weston dominated from the start with some fine tackles from Jack Howard, George Bamsey and Sam Kerrigan. In the centre, Archie Tilsley, Josh Gardiner and Eddie Davies worked the ball well and that helped Dan Press to make some fine runs.Weston won 30-5 with two tries each for Sam Kerrigan and Jack Howard, and one each for Archie Tilsley and George Bamsey.

In the second game, Weston played well from the start, winning most of the scrums and line-outs they put pressure on the visitors which showed in the final score of 30-0. With the two Finleys, Hardy and James playing really well, Jonny Hale and Jimmy Bamsey in the thick of it, Tom Chambers laying the ball off well and Jessie Dadds as fast as ever. Wingers Herbie Corderoy and Feebie Stamp showing good speed.

Tries went to Geroge Bamsey (3), Jack Howard (2) and Josh Gardner.

The Under-12s played two games against North Petherton, who turned up with a mixed bag of Under-11s and 12s and so to accommodate them Weston combined with their Under-11s to make sure all got a game.

The first game stared well but Weston's lack of meaningful tackling allowed Petherton to break through several times scoring one try in the first half and four in the second. Weston's Heydon (Under-11s) scored one in the first half. Good effort form Ashley Hardman and Tom Sugg, and with Rhys Langley, Harry Lewis and Owen Kelman making some good breaks, Weston were unlucky not to score more. Good effort from Adam Budd, Joal Scanlon and Jacob Cox. The game ended Weston 7, North Petherton 30.

Weston's second game saw a change of backs and found the tackling much improved, Ben Bartlett and Alex Tyler made some superb tackles and Harry Flower got stuck in and had his best-ever game. Petherton scored two tries in the first half and four in the second .

All of Weston's tries came in the second half, firstly from Keiran (Under-11s) then one from Harry Flower (Under-12s) and the last from Under-11s' Neil. Other players to mention were Harry Spedding, James Peel and Dan Smith who had suburb games.

A good all-round performance from all the players. The final score was Weston 19, North Petherton 36.

This week's Huw Langley Solicitors man of the match goes Harry Flower for a impressive game.

The Under-7s visited Yatton with six players short and a number of players playing out of position. Weston started with some early pressure, but then spent quite some time defending which resulted in a try to Yatton.

It was not long before Yatton attacked again resulting in their second try, which was converted (12-0). Weston needed to get their act together and started to put some moves together which were rewarded with two tries before half time (12-10).

The second half was completely different, with Weston applying pressure immediately. It resulted in a try which was converted (12-17). Weston dominated the rest of the match with good moves and tackling from all the players.

Not long into the second half Weston scored again, taking the score to 12- 24. The rest of the match continued in the same vain and Weston scored two more tries, both of which were converted. Weston's tries were scored by Mickey Mcarthy (3), Darran Burns (1), James Cook (1) Ollie Caton (1), with conversions from Rich Frost (3) and Joe Keating (1). The final score was Yatton 12, Weston 38.

Weston team: Forwards, Zac West-Gaul, Grant Aldridge, James Cook, Rich Frost, Dan Reasons, Kieran Rudge, Tom Robinson, Lewis Hancock. Backs, Will Hooper, Darran Burns, Joe Keating, Ollie Caton, Kye Williams, Mikey Mcarthy, Toby Zahiri-Sellers.

The Under-9s entertained North Petherton who turned up with just four players so Weston added five players to their side and in the wind and the rain two entertaining games of rugby were played.

In the first match Weston ran out winners 7 tries to 2 in an open and free running game thanks to four tries from Joe, two from Dan and one from Leon. The sides were shuffled again for the second match with the North Petherton side reversing the earlier defeat winning 7 tries to 1, with all tries scored by North Petherton players who throughout both matches tackled, ran and supported with great determination and enthusiasm, Weston's consolation try came from Joe, who along with Dan tackled superbly throughout.

WINSCOMBE Under-8s successfully defended their title at the Clifton Festival. They narrowly came through a strong and well contested pool, to play the hosts in the final. Winscombe's unbeaten run since 2008 now extends to 54 matches.

In their first match, they beat Clifton 9-4 with tries by Ru, Lewis (5), James, William (2) and support by Archie, Harley, India, Ben and George.

Next up were St Mary's, last season's finalists, and ended 6-6 with tries for William (2), Harley, Lewis, George and India with support from Ru and Charlie.

Winscombe took a while to get up to speed against Barnstaple, but they ran out 5-1 winners with tries by Ru (2), Lewis (2) and India with good work by Harley.

In their next game against Keynsham, they won 6-1 with tries by Lewis, India, Ru (2), George, Archie with support from Harley, Ben, James and Charlie.

In the final, they again met Clifton and ran out 8-3 winners with tries by Lewis (3), India, Harley, Ru, Charlie and Archie, well supported by Ben and William.

Winscombe's winning squad: Ben Mullin, Ru Schofield, Harley Walton, William Pearce, India Capon, Archie Alexander, Charlie Davies, James Fowler, George Alvis, Lewis Gilbert

The Under-11s played host to Clevedon, hoping to avenge the defeat from last season. An open running game was not on the cards, due to the wind and rain, and the Winscombe forwards stepped up to the mark putting on an excellent performance.

Winscombe absorbed a lot of pressure during the opening few minutes but eventually started to win possession and worked their way into Clevedon's territory. Two excellent runs from Josh Hunt were stopped two metres short of the Clevedon line. Clevedon then came straight back with a fine solo run but good defence prevented a score.

In the second half Matt Cottington and Josh linked well to make good ground before passing to Gabe Bell who cut back inside to power through the Clevedon defence to score Winscombe's first try.

Winscombe were beginning to dominate, turning Clevedon over several times and were rewarded with a penalty for their efforts which George Harrison took, driving the ball forward before slickly passing to Tristan Greene to score, then converted by Joe Hartshorne.

Clevedon regrouped and for several minutes applied significant pressure while camped on the Winscombe line. Excellent defence from all the Winscombe players prevented a score. Another great clearance kick from Will Macarthur took the pressure off Winscombe's defence, enabling them to take play back towards Clevedon's half.

Winscombe then secured the ball and a determined Lewis Yallop drove and Josh made further ground but was brought down short of the Clevedon line. However George H was in support and picked up the loose ball to go over to score Winscombe's third try. Will then converted.

Final score: Winscombe 19, Clevedon 0

For the second game, Winscombe fielded a side largely made up of those who had not played in the first game. In worsening conditions, the Visitors gain revenge for their defeat in the first match.

The Under-16s wisely elected to play into a driving rain in the first half of their Bristol Combination Cup match with Chew. The weather was to play it's part in a thrilling game that remained unsettled until the final whistle.

After taking the lead with a penalty, Chew found themselves defending their try-line, but Winscombe's Henry Farmer touched down from some 15 metres out. The visitors responded from the restart, however, with a fine try and again went ahead.

Alfie Palmer restored the lead to the home team shortly before half time with a try following another forward surge.

With the wind and rain at their backs, Winscombe dominated territory in the second half with strong running from the team and especially from their man of the match Dan Findlay.

The decisive score Winscombe needed came courtesy of a typical darting run and lunge for the line from Lewis Podpadec.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus