Daemons go top after resounding victory
Totterdown Daemons top Division 2 of the Weston and District Table Tennis League.
TOTTERDOWN Daemons confirmed their place at the top of Division 2 of the Weston and District Table Tennis League with a resounding 30-2 win over Winsc Warriors.
Despite some close games, Cath Smith, Pete Joiner and Margaret Parker could not hold off the determined Daemons. Smith lost two games 9-11 against Mike Summers and 10-12 against Bert Hiscock.
Joiner and Smith joined forces in the doubles, winning the first two games against Summers and Jason King, but were unable to hold on to their lead losing the next three nine, eight and nine.
Wayfarers’ Rich Parker and Phil Yates needed all their experience and skills against the dogged youngsters of C & C Banwell. Yates came away with three wins, but lost one game to Hannah Cope.
Jack Brent also had some narrow defeats against Parker. Beth Atkinson had the match of the evening with a win over Parker 11-6 in the fourth. Hannah and Beth played well in the doubles, just losing out 9-11 in the fifth to the Wayfarers’ pair. This gave Wayfarers a close 19-16 match win.
Revolutions hold the key to final placings in Division 1. Both Vets A and Walton Wanderers have outstanding matches due to be played against them.
- 1 Weston's bodybuilding world champion dismisses misconceptions
- 2 Appeal after biker hospitalised in crash
- 3 Weston town centre improvement works to be 'finished in weeks'
- 4 Teachers at school take on Movember challenge
- 5 Extension to cycling route could be approved next year
- 6 New community fridge opens in the Sovereign Centre
- 7 Weston MP tells Boris Johnson UK childcare is among 'most unaffordable'
- 8 Famous spoof awards winner announced
- 9 How Somerset's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 10 A370 to close this evening for first of 10 nights of roadworks
In the Vets’ home fixture against Revolutions they came away with 7-3 winning match, with Peter Butterworth and Roger Crump both taking all three singles and the doubles against Kiem Mu and Ken Voong.
Butterworth and Crump both lost one game to Mu and Crump had a tough five games against Voong. Ann Sandford lost all three despite taking the first against Mu and a winning 13-11 in the third against Jason King.
It was not a good night for Vets A against a very much in-form Walton Wanderers with Ray Jenkins and Bill Bruton taking all three. Jenkins lost a game to Roger Crump and Bruton only overcame Ann Sandford in five games and four each against Colin Lewis and Crump.
Dave Grounsell with two wins and one loss to Lewis, teamed with Jenkins to defeat Crump and Sandford giving Wanderers an important 9-1 winning match.