Damon wins his debut bout for Weston
- Credit: Archant
Weston Boxing Club member Damon Godbeer won his debut fight in the first round.
TWO Weston boxers competed at the Forest Hills Golf Club, Coleford, in the Forest of Dean.
Sam Higgins, aged 16, was competing in the National Junior Championships regional round against Jacob Hale of Paddy John’s, Kingswood, Bristol.
Higgins was composed and boxing well, but it soon became evident his opponent was powerful when he caught Sam with some big shots. Hale came out for the second round knowing he had set fear into Higgins and ploughed and the referee stepped in to stop any further punishment.
Hale boxed the next round of the championships a few days later and again stopped his opponent, Wesley Taylor of Downend, who will be facing Higgins at Hutton Moor on Saturday.
Next into the ring was Damon Godbeer (35) of the Bournville, and he faced Shaun Neville of the Tudorville, Gloucester. Both boxers were making their debuts,but it was Godbeer that shone from the opening bell.
Neville was in trouble inside the first 30 seconds and collapsed to the floor from a body shot, he got up again, but it was only going to be a matter of time before he would be stopped.
- 1 Weston's bodybuilding world champion dismisses misconceptions
- 2 Appeal after biker hospitalised in crash
- 3 Weston town centre improvement works to be 'finished in weeks'
- 4 Teachers at school take on Movember challenge
- 5 Extension to cycling route could be approved next year
- 6 Weston MP tells Boris Johnson UK childcare is among 'most unaffordable'
- 7 New community fridge opens in the Sovereign Centre
- 8 How Somerset's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 Famous spoof awards winner announced
- 10 A370 to close this evening for first of 10 nights of roadworks
With 10 seconds of the first round remaining, Neville dropped to the canvas again from a four-punch combination, remaining on the canvas. A great debut for Damon, who will also be boxing at Hutton Moor.
Fifteen boxers from Weston’s Boxing Club and the Weston Warriors will be displaying their skills at Hutton Moor, with a mixture of schoolboy, junior and senior boxers. Call On Security Ltd will be bringing special guest and English middleweight champion Danny Butler, also the chairman of the council, David Hitchins, will be presenting the trophies.
Doors open at 7pm and tickets cost £12 for adults and £6 for under-14s, a limited number of ringside tables are left at £160. For further details, contact John on 07786 371164.