David is new Weston captain
- Credit: Archant
David Swann is the new captain of Weston Rugby Club and he will be assisted by Sylvan Edwards as vice-captain.
LOOSE head prop David Swann will skipper Weston RFC in their National 3 South West campaign this coming season and centre Sylvan Edwards will be his deputy.
Woolwich-born Swann, aged 31, started his Seasiders career in the 2002/2003 season with a debut at Blackheath, but returned to Minehead RFC at the end of the 2004/2005 season.
He re-joined Weston in October 2011 and has now made 118 1st XV appearances, scoring 14 tries.
Edwards (33), joined the club from Dings Crusaders at the beginning of last season, making 23 appearances and scoring nine tries.
You may also want to watch:
Weston’s second string, the United, will be led by winger Paul Sprague and the Athletic XV’s captain will be veteran Grahame Hill.
Weston’s pre-season match will be against Lymm RFC from National 3 North on August 17 (3pm) and the day will start at 11am with junior registration, followed by a fun day until kick-off time.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 5 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 6 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 7 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 10 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
Coincidentally, Lymm’s head coach is Weston’s former full-back Paul Thatcher.
The Seasiders open their defence of the Somerset Cup at Wellington on November 16.