Defeat in Seagulls’ final pre-season match
WESTON geared up for the start of the new season with an unfortunate loss to football league opposition.
The Seagulls’ last pre-season match saw them face League Two side Torquay United on Friday, and despite the result the team put in a good performance where they matched their opponents throughout the match.
They will kick off their Blue Square South campaign at home to Hayes and Yeading on Saturday, before following it up with a trip to Farnborough on Tuesday.
The Seagulls have had a mixed bag of results in their pre-season schedule, losing 6-1 to Swindon Town and 3-1 to Plymouth Argyle, but drawing 2-2 with Bristol Rovers and beating Shepton Mallet 3-1.
On Friday Weston were unlucky to come away with a 3-0 loss to Torquay on Friday, with the Seagulls dominating the first half.
You may also want to watch:
Wingers Ross Stearn and Nat Pepperell sent over telling crosses for Chas Hemmings, while Ashley Kington and Owen Irish, brother of goalkeeper Lloyd, had good games in the midfield.
Stearn skimmed the Torquay crossbar in the opening minutes of the match and then Brett Trowbridge was just off target with a strong header.
- 1 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 2 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Two charged with burglary and fraud
The Gulls only had one effort in the first half, but they were awarded a harsh penalty when Stearn was adjudged to have tripped Daniel Leadbitter.
Skipper Lee Mansell sent Lloyd Irish the wrong way from the spot.
In the second half Torquay made several changes and grew into the match.
Despite another good performance from the Seagulls, new Torquay signing Billy Bodin and powerful striker Rene Howe added a gloss to the scoreline for the visitors with two late goals.
Ahead of the new season midfielder Ben Cleverley has been released by the Seagulls. Due to work commitments he had been unable to commit to the Seagulls’ training and playing schedule, and he has now joined Toolstation League Division One team Shepton Mallet.