Defeat leaves Weston back in relegation battle
- Credit: Archant
Weston were drawn back into the relegation battle after losing at Corsham.
A POOR batting performance away at Corsham drew Weston back closer to the relegation zone.
After winning the toss, Rob Turner and Jalal Ahmed got the side off to a solid start with both batsmen finding the boundary regularly. Ahmed fell for 17 edging behind, but Turner continued his assault of the bowling with some brutal shots down the ground.
Turner’s momentum was halted as wickets tumbled around him and when he was bowled for 44, Weston had slipped to 65-5. Further wickets fell as only Andrew Fear was able to show the patience required to bat through as Weston were eventually bowled out for 107.
With the batsman able to play with freedom chasing a low total, Corsham found the fence regularly, despite Willoughby picking up an early wicket. Davis and Morrison both went to 30 quickly before they fell to Allen and Willoughby respectively, but by now the damage had been done. Corsham strolled to victory with seven wickets in hand.
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday,Weston welcome Taunton St Andrews, who currently sit in the relegation zone just a few points behind Weston. A victory will significantly assist Weston’s relegation battle heading into the final month of the season.
- 1 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 2 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 3 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 4 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 7 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 10 Weston businesses move online for second lockdown
R Turner b King 44
J Ahmed c Robbins b Arney 17
J Neave lbw Foley 0
J Williams c Bullen b Parker 3
J Davidson c Bullen b Parker 0
C Davidson c Foley b Robbins 8
J Weber run out 0
A Fear not out 10
A Allen b Robbins 0
C Willoughby c Arney b King 12
T Main c Parker b Robbins 2
T Davies c J Davidson b Allen 35
T Shaw lbw Willoughby 0
A Morrison b Willoughby 34
S Bullen not out 21
S Collier not out 12
Total (3 wkts) 109
Bowling: C Willoughby 8.1-0-62-2; T Main 2-0-12-0; A Allen 8-2-24-1; A Fear 2-0-10-0.